Epiphyllum oxypetalum?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
olof_n

Epiphyllum oxypetalum?

Post by olof_n »

Hi!

I bought a cactus at an online auction.
The seller auctioned out the cactus as "Princess of the night!". I hoped for a Selenicereus pteranthus but the seller did not know the Latin name.
Anyway, I took a chance and bought it. Now the cutting has grown a leaf :shock:

I know nothing about jungle cacti, could it be a Epiphyllum oxypetalum?
Attachments
Epiphyllum.jpg
Epiphyllum.jpg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Epiphyllum2.jpg
Epiphyllum2.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
anttisepp

Re: Epiphyllum oxypetalum?

Post by anttisepp »

olof_n wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:40 pm <...> could it be a Epiphyllum oxypetalum?
Very possible, but better to grow it into adult plant and then to share again.
They are differ from big plants in juvenile stage. It may be also some Nopalxochia (much juvenile spines...).
Anyway all of them are beautiful with flowers. And growing is the same.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

As far is i know, E. Oxypetalum is 100% spineless. The "leaf" you see is the natural form of the stem
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

David Hunt maintains that any Epiphyllum sensu stricto with multiangled stems rather than just flattened two ribbed stems is a hybrid. How true this is I am uncertain, but does apply to most. Yours obviously has multiangled stems at the base therefore looks to me like some form of "Orchid Cactus" commonly called "Epiphyllum Hybrids", though there is seldom any true Epiphyllum blood in them, being mainly of Disocactus or Heliocereus parentage originally.

Whether there is any Selenicereus blood in it I do not know, unless the seller made the cross themselves? Most Heliocereus have red flowers, but there is a white flowered one which may be confused with a Selenicereus and have been one of it's parents. Heliocereus amecamensis is often considered just a white flowered variety or subspecies of H. speciosus, but does not produce any flattened stems like yours:-

http://mattslandscape.com/detail/?plant ... mecamensis
olof_n

Post by olof_n »

Thanks for all answers!
Guess I have to wait until it has grown bigger.
Also bought a Selenicereus grandiflorus from another seller. It was just a bare cutting but has rooted and started to grow now.