purple cactus seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Aloinopsis

purple cactus seedlings

Post by Aloinopsis »

Hello all

I know that dark-colored cacti are usually sun-stressed. I have about 40 pots of cacti seedlings from last summer, all going strong on a southern-facing window with 12 hour lights above.

In some of the pots, there are several dark red/purple/brown seedlings amongst the otherwise green seedlings. This is true for species which don't have darker-colored variants. I see it in Ariocarpus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Mammillaria, and a couple others.

Since most of the seedlings in each pot are green, should I just leave everything alone? Or would you take the dark-colored ones out and move them to a place with less light?

Obviously, if the entire container was sun-stressed I would move it. But the seedlings are mixed in their response, which puzzles me a little bit.

Thank you for any advice!
Cactusupdate

Re: purple cactus seedlings

Post by Cactusupdate »

I don't have an experienced answer for you, but I'll chime in that my seedlings did that too and most of them normalized. My ariocarpus are mostly green with some red guys in there. Hopefully someone smarter/more experience will comment.
keith

Re: purple cactus seedlings

Post by keith »

red seedlings, If they are still growing its Ok, if they stop growing too much light.