What are my chances with Tylecodon?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
mmcavall

What are my chances with Tylecodon?

Post by mmcavall »

I would like very much to try some Tylecodon species from seed.
But I'm aware I am not in the best climate for that (hot summer and relatively hot winter: very few nights below 10 degrees Celsius).
On the other hand, I am currently growing Mesembs with relatively success, including Monilaria moliniformis, which goes dormant for half a year here.
So maybe I have some chance...do it worth a try? If yes, what would be the main advices for sowing and growing them?
Thanks for any comments!
mmcavall

Re: What are my chances with Tylecodon?

Post by mmcavall »

Does anyone have an experience to share?
Thanks !
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I just treat them the same as winter active mesembs. They are not hard to grow, at least for me in my climate. But if mesembs are a success, I have no reason to think Tylecodon will be different. I bet you can grow probably any winter active succulent, with the exception of some, like Diplosoma and Muiria.

The hardest part of growing Tylecodon is to keep branches and leaves from dropping. Every touch is risky, even looking at them might cause something to break off...
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aiko wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:28 pm I just treat them the same as winter active mesembs. They are not hard to grow, at least for me in my climate. But if mesembs are a success, I have no reason to think Tylecodon will be different. I bet you can grow probably any winter active succulent, with the exception of some, like Diplosoma and Muiria.

The hardest part of growing Tylecodon is to keep branches and leaves from dropping. Every touch is risky, even looking at them might cause something to break off...
Thank you very much, Aiko, I was indeed waiting for you to show up here.
Well, I would not call a "success" my experience with Mesembs. They are... going on...but I do believe I could try Tylecodon.
On the other hand, there are so many other things to try... So probably I will choose another group (are Adromiscus winter growing too?)
Thank you very much, anyway