Pdentification of cacti please ! I've had it for 30 years.

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nardude

Pdentification of cacti please ! I've had it for 30 years.

Post by nardude »

rsz_cactus.jpg
rsz_cactus.jpg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to identify the cactus I've had for over 35 years now. I'm not an expert but it has moved with me about 8 times from Canada to USA and back to Canada. The cactus was just a little wee 2 inch high when I got it as a gift and mum asked me to take care of it for as long as I can. Well mum passed away and I still have the cactus. Can anyone please help me identify it ? it just keeps growing and is now about 8 feet tall and if I put it outside in summer it keeps growing and when people pass by the window it sits in they can't believe it's a real indoor cactus. lol

I will attempt to post a pic now. Oh, I have a string of led lights around it to give it effect in the evening and usually just keep it on all night.

Thank-you ! :D
Aloinopsis

Re: Pdentification of cacti please ! I've had it for 30 years.

Post by Aloinopsis »

Has it a white sap when cut?

It looks like a Euphorbia trigonus, which is not technically a cactus.
CactusPet

Post by CactusPet »

Beautiful plant! How do you keep it from breaking when moving? Did you have to repot frequently?
nardude

Post by nardude »

Aloinopsis wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:14 pm Has it a white sap when cut?

It looks like a Euphorbia trigonus, which is not technically a cactus.
Hi and thanks. I looked up Euphorbia trigonus and saw this post on the web, which call it a Cactus. It doesn't grow any red leaves as Euphorbia mentions. However, I'm still trying to identify it and see this post calling it a XL Euphorbia Tigona Jade Tiger Cactus ? https://urbanxeriscape.com/product/xl-e ... orbiaceae/
nardude

Post by nardude »

CactusPet wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm Beautiful plant! How do you keep it from breaking when moving? Did you have to repot frequently?
When I moved it was carefully transported by Atlas Van Lines. I built a home and it was in storage for almost 6 months before the house was ready. Atlas Van Lines didn't guarantee the survival. When I finally received it I had to cut out a whole branch so it was a lot larger previously. That was about 20 years ago. As you notices, I hold it up straight with some broom sticks so it doesn't lean but I really don't need them as it now stands tall on it's own.

I always re-potted as it grew into larger pots. It's pretty sturdy as when I moved it they put a blanket around it and leaned it to it's side then set it up straight during transport.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Most Euphorbia trigona plants don't have red leaves.