Mold or Algae?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
sharvs

Mold or Algae?

Post by sharvs »

I decided to try and propagate a succulent cutting and so far, have seen great results. The cutting is well-rooted and has already started sprouting several different growths. It grows in a south-facing window and gets several hours of direct sunlight per day. I am located in NYC, so the weather has been very hot and humid lately.

Something I just noticed is in the side of the jar, there is a bright green substance that is growing. It looks like a bright green mold or algae, but I'm not exactly sure. I would assume that maybe I have added a bit too much water at some point and should hold back on watering? I'd also like to know if I should re-pot the plant as I am unsure if whatever this substance is is harmful to the cutting? Thanks for the help, I've attached a couple of photos!
Attachments
IMG_1384.jpeg
IMG_1384.jpeg (82.46 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_1383.jpeg
IMG_1383.jpeg (81.86 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_1385.jpeg
IMG_1385.jpeg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
greenknight

Re: Mold or Algae?

Post by greenknight »

Algae. You'll always get that with a transparent container that lets light get to the soil below the surface, where it stays damp for long periods.
Spence :mrgreen:
sharvs

Post by sharvs »

greenknight wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:44 pm Algae. You'll always get that with a transparent container that lets light get to the soil below the surface, where it stays damp for long periods.
Good to know, thank you! So it sounds like both A) it is not harmful to the succulent, but also B) maybe I should cut back a bit on watering frequency, correct?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Algae is harmless, yes.

Does that container have a drainage hole? If not, it's very tricky to supply the plant enough water without over-watering it. You should pot it up into a pot which drains.
sharvs

Post by sharvs »

greenknight wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:28 pm Algae is harmless, yes.

Does that container have a drainage hole? If not, it's very tricky to supply the plant enough water without over-watering it. You should pot it up into a pot which drains.
Good advice, sounds like I should repot all of my succulents so that they have drainage holes. I do like the mason jars though, do you think something like this would be better? https://www.etsy.com/listing/98738764/m ... age-set-of
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It would be an improvement, definitely
sharvs

Post by sharvs »

greenknight wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:36 am It would be an improvement, definitely
Thank you!