Protection from rain/frost.

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
DuarteDave

Protection from rain/frost.

Post by DuarteDave »

I'm in So Cal but occasional winter rain and frost is not out of the question.
I thought about getting one of those portable greenhouses to put my cacti in during the rain and frost.
What do you think? What do you guys and gals do? I have always had my cacti in the elements but there is a thing as too much rain and I have always covered my sensitive plants with a cardboard box for frost.
Dave
bartab

Re: Protection from rain/frost.

Post by bartab »

I am in Northern California, so am a little colder than you are. Zone 9a/9b ish. I am stuck because I have no greenhouse. I keep mine outside on a couple of large patio tables and kept well covered with the big umbrellas. I have to keep an eye on temps and will bring plants in for the night when it gets too cold. It's a pain. My cold tolerant plants like my Escobaria and several others I just leave out under the umbrellas all winter. Once I stop watering my plants I separate them into tubs. Some tubs I'll bring in if it is going to get anywhere near freezing and some tubs I'll bring if it looks like it will be around 40. I am thinking about just moving them into my garage this winter but have never really investigated light requirements that they would need.
DuarteDave

Re: Protection from rain/frost.

Post by DuarteDave »

Yeah, that's why I'm considering a greenhouse. I don't want to stress them out, especially my Ariocarpus, by bringing them indoors every night with the heater running, etc.
I thought about my workbench in the garage but I have chemicals and gasoline in there and I don't know how sensitive they would be to that.