Seeding Journal

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
MeloMet

Re: Seeding Journal

Post by MeloMet »

Pelecyphora strobiliformis. I planted 10 seeds from Mesa on February 7, 2019, and 1 sprouted. Is this why these species are so expensive?! This one’s been out of the baggie for about three months. Note the ground cinnamon to keep fungi at bay.
Attachments
B0FA6745-A97B-4F70-9297-E454E0AFA4C7.jpeg
B0FA6745-A97B-4F70-9297-E454E0AFA4C7.jpeg (139.41 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
“northern_cactus” on Instagram
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

I think the main reason Pelecyphora in general are expensive is due to their slow growth, relative scarcity, and relatively high demand.
That being said, I sowed 10 seeds of this species from ADBLPS back in 2015 and 7 germinated, and 7 still live on right now.

On the other hand, I was only able to get aselliformis from Mesa a while ago (I think this is still when Steven was running it), but only managed to get 2 to sprout. They...have since succumbed to rot. (I'll try them again this year if I manage to get some before the sell out)

Very nice thread and good looking seedlings!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I harvested Pelecyphora seeds from my cacti and sowed. The germination rate was not too bad but it was hard to make thick body of seedlings.
Both of aseliformis and strobiliformis seedlings were grafted and made thick bodies.
Scions with thick body were degrafted and rooted. Pooting of Pelecyphora is very easy.

The photo is my Pelecyphora seedlins sown seeds in 2012.
They are still thin.
https://cactiguide.com/forum/download/f ... d9333a4ea8
Attachments
P. aseliformis seedlings in 10 cm square pot
P. aseliformis seedlings in 10 cm square pot
IMG_4435 - Copy.JPG (103.21 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
keith

Post by keith »

Nice work. Cinnamon as a fungicide I'll have to try it. often cactus from seeds grow tall and skinny for awhile before the fatten up not sure why ?
dwood5513

Post by dwood5513 »

MeloMet wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:19 am Parodia mammulosa. I planted 25 seeds from Mesa on February 8, 2019, and 10 sprouted. These have been out of the baggie for about three months.
Gorgeous! I may have to try this one.
Vegetable Don

Post by Vegetable Don »

What conditions do you start these in? My haageocereus pseudomelanostele seedlings are 2 months old and still a few millimetres wide. My stenocereus, melocactus, and other genre are growing quite a bit faster than my haageos.
vegetable_don on instagram.
growlist>>>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing lots of carnivorous plants too. :D
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

Vegetable Don wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm What conditions do you start these in? My haageocereus pseudomelanostele seedlings are 2 months old and still a few millimetres wide. My stenocereus, melocactus, and other genre are growing quite a bit faster than my haageos.
Don’t worry - I look at these threads and everyone’s plants are always heaps bigger at given ages than mine lol. Ah well!
Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
Vegetable Don

Post by Vegetable Don »

Licespray wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:03 am
Vegetable Don wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm What conditions do you start these in? My haageocereus pseudomelanostele seedlings are 2 months old and still a few millimetres wide. My stenocereus, melocactus, and other genre are growing quite a bit faster than my haageos.
Don’t worry - I look at these threads and everyone’s plants are always heaps bigger at given ages than mine lol. Ah well!
haha truee :D . everything else is growing just fine. It's just haageocereus and arrojadoa that are painfully slow for me
vegetable_don on instagram.
growlist>>>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing lots of carnivorous plants too. :D
ana.alidio

Post by ana.alidio »

MeloMet wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:16 am Denmoza rhodacantha. I planted 25 seeds from Mesa on February 9, 2019, and 23 sprouted. These have been out of the baggie for about three months.
How did you sow Denmoza seeds? I heard that these seeds need scarification?
CactiJim

Post by CactiJim »

I can’t get to seem to get my rebutia to germinate. They’ve been in their pot for about 16 days and I see no signs of any germination. Is this normal?
-Jimmy, Phoenix, AZ