Slow growing plant has fast growing sprout

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
scubatke

Slow growing plant has fast growing sprout

Post by scubatke »

Greetings,

In the picture below, I'm wondering what is going on with the plant in the yellow pot and what, if anything, I need to do?

I've had these plants for 5-6 months and the yellow potted plant (I don't know any of the names so let's call him George) is the only one I've had trouble with. Early on, when I was trying to figure out how frequently to water, I lost a few leaves to rot after over-watering. I then backed off too much which resulted in the cracked leaves. For the past 3 months or so, the happy medium that I had found seemed to be working just fine. For lighting, I have full spectrum LEDs about 10-12" above the plants.

About 2-3 weeks ago, the sprout started growing (I had nipped off a previous sprout) and I've lost two leaves to rot(?) with a 3rd on it's way out (you can see it in the picture). There's also another tiny sprout started but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. All of these plants grow very, very slowly but that sprout has really taken off.

So my questions are:
  • What should I do, or not do, about George?
  • Do the other plants look healthy enough? (They barely grow at all. I can't say for certain that they have grown at all.)
Thanks!

20191014_181754 (002).jpg
20191014_181754 (002).jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
20191017_184804.jpg
20191017_184804.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
bbarv

Re: Slow growing plant has fast growing sprout

Post by bbarv »

Seems like your George just trying to bloom, this long sprout is a flower stock.
All those plants are relatively slow growing, it’s normal.
Plants in a rectangular pot:
bottom left- haworthia looks a bit thirsty
top left- echeveria, probably purpusorum,
bottom right- portulacaria afra, looks fine
Top right- crassula ovata ‘Golum’
Nice arrangement. Coming spring it would be better to separate plants as they have different water and light needs
scubatke

Post by scubatke »

Thanks bbarv. Should I keep supporting the flower stock or let it hang over the side of the pot? What about the dying leaves?

Thanks also for identifying everything for me. On the haworthia, how can I tell it needs more water? When I was trying to dial in the watering schedule, it opened up slightly and the echeveria stretched out just a bit. Is that what you are seeing, or is it something else?

Finally, is there a website that you would recommend the details water and light needs for succulents?

Thanks so much for your help!
Shane

Post by Shane »

scubatke wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:47 am Thanks bbarv. Should I keep supporting the flower stock or let it hang over the side of the pot? What about the dying leaves?

Thanks also for identifying everything for me. On the haworthia, how can I tell it needs more water? When I was trying to dial in the watering schedule, it opened up slightly and the echeveria stretched out just a bit. Is that what you are seeing, or is it something else?

Finally, is there a website that you would recommend the details water and light needs for succulents?

Thanks so much for your help!
I usually don't support my succulents' flower stalks, but I'd reccomend against removing existing supports. If it grew supported, it would be risky in my opinion to remove the supports (note this only applies to the flower stalk, a permanent part of the plant will strengthen over time and become able to support itself)
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
scubatke

Post by scubatke »

Greetings everyone,

As can be seen in the photo, all of George's leaves have wilted away as well as some on the flower stalk. Roots or tendrils have also sprouted all along the stalk. Should I transfer everything to a long tray and lay George down? I'm watering everything on a 5 day interval; are any changes needed?

Cheers!

20191205_191121 small.jpg
20191205_191121 small.jpg (82.88 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Are roots coming from the base of the leaf? If so just detach few leaves and plant them. They will form new plantlets. You also can lay flower stock down, let roots touch the soil.
scubatke

Post by scubatke »

Thanks for your response bbarv. Yes, the roots are coming from the bases of the leaves.

Looking at the pictures, any idea what happened?
Should I have pruned the flower stalk when it first started (I had pruned one prior)?
Anyone know what this plant is (so I can look it up)?

Thanks!
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Hard to tell but my guess that it’s echeveria or graptoveria.
scubatke

Post by scubatke »

I Googled echeveria and graptoveria but they don't seem to look like George? The leaves on George curl down instead of up.

20191017_184804.jpg
20191017_184804.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
20191014_181754 (002).jpg
20191014_181754 (002).jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 1228 times