Hybridization of cacti

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Sarraceniacrazy

Hybridization of cacti

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Hello everyone! Is there a list of cactus that can be readily hybridized? Thanks!

Eric
Shane

Re: Hybridization of cacti

Post by Shane »

I've wondered the same thing. I've looked and haven't found anything useful. A good place to start would be a cladogram of the cactus family (which I also haven't been able to find). Though a guide to cacti hybridization would be the most helpful resource as some groups of cacti are more amenable to hybridization than others. For example, Mammillaria species are said to be difficult to cross with other despite being closely related
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Sarraceniacrazy

Shane wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:18 am I've wondered the same thing. I've looked and haven't found anything useful. A good place to start would be a cladogram of the cactus family (which I also haven't been able to find). Though a guide to cacti hybridization would be the most helpful resource as some groups of cacti are more amenable to hybridization than others. For example, Mammillaria species are said to be difficult to cross with other despite being closely related
Thank you Shane!
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

I believe haageocereus and echinopsis are able to produce seed together
Sarraceniacrazy

Vingames1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:03 pm I believe haageocereus and echinopsis are able to produce seed together
Thank you!
Ferocactus57

Post by Ferocactus57 »

I know these are all possible not always easy. Stenocactus, ferocactus, echinocactus, thelocactus, leuchtenbergia. I'm not positive but I have also seen astrophytum being crossed with some of these too so I would think it's possible with all of them also.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The Russian Cultivar/Lapshin Org. (text in English) covers cultivars and hybrids if you click on the links in the link below:-

http://www.lapshin.org/cultivar/list-e.htm