Cacti micropropagation

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Sarraceniacrazy

Cacti micropropagation

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Hello everyone. Just ordered some tissue culture supplies. Going to dust off the ol' TC equipment and was wondering if anyone here has experience germinating cactus in vitro. Read all of the online material i could find and im just looking for someone with first hand experience and/or tried and proven protocols. Thanks!

Eric
Shane

Re: Cacti micropropagation

Post by Shane »

I've been thinking about doing the same. I have no TC experience, but it's always seemed like an interesting thing to try. I've been reading "Plants from Test Tubes: An Introduction to Micropropagation", the quintessential comprehensive introduction to TC. Incidentally, it includes protocols for a few cacti. Would be very interested to hear your experience
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Sarraceniacrazy

Shane wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:59 am I've been thinking about doing the same. I have no TC experience, but it's always seemed like an interesting thing to try. I've been reading "Plants from Test Tubes: An Introduction to Micropropagation", the quintessential comprehensive introduction to TC. Incidentally, it includes protocols for a few cacti. Would be very interested to hear your experience
Hi Shane! Ive only TCed carnivorous plants so i only know what ive read online/ found on instagram about cactus protocols. Ill try and dig up some old pics.
Sarraceniacrazy

Heres a link to some of my tissue culturing results

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1mI6sxl2XN ... 1eo69loq2h
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Shane, I also have that book and have been considering taking the plunge. Like Sarraceniarcrazy mentioned, I've also considered carnivorous plants as test subjects, because from what I've read they are some of the easiest plants to do tissue culture from.

Do you have any recommendations for getting equipment? I cannot afford an autoclave, but I do have some gift cards for Amazon and thought about getting some starter kits with gels and dishes.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Sarraceniacrazy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:49 pm Heres a link to some of my tissue culturing results

BTW, your Instagram account is beautiful! I really need to start uploading to mine and using it. Do you find it helpful/useful in your plants? I've studied a number of growers accounts and really benefit from some of the techniques I've seen. I deleted Facebook years ago though and don't want to enter another pursuit like it.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Sarraceniacrazy

Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:15 pm
Sarraceniacrazy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:49 pm Heres a link to some of my tissue culturing results

BTW, your Instagram account is beautiful! I really need to start uploading to mine and using it. Do you find it helpful/useful in your plants? I've studied a number of growers accounts and really benefit from some of the techniques I've seen. I deleted Facebook years ago though and don't want to enter another pursuit like it.
Thank you!

I dont like facebook. Signed up years ago but never posted anything. I love instagram! I love looking at pics so it fits me better. Easier to find like minded people imo.

You dont need an autoclave. Those TC pics of mine i only microwaved the media. Plant preservative mixture(PPM) is a god send to people that want to "kitchen tissue culture" and really helps with media sterilization. I have never used an autoclave or laminar flow hood and while i did get contaminants from time to time id say i got around a 90-95% success rate so TCong isnt near as difgicult as it looks. 99% alcohol in a spray bottle is your biggest friend.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I have never used an autoclave or laminar flow hood and while i did get contaminants from time to time id say i got around a 90-95% success rate so TCong isnt near as difgicult as it looks. 99% alcohol in a spray bottle is your biggest friend.
This is really encouraging. Thanks for sharing
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Sarraceniacrazy

Shane wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 am
I have never used an autoclave or laminar flow hood and while i did get contaminants from time to time id say i got around a 90-95% success rate so TCong isnt near as difgicult as it looks. 99% alcohol in a spray bottle is your biggest friend.
This is really encouraging. Thanks for sharing
No problem
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

I've read that 70% alcohol is better to use than a higher percentage. Seems counter-intuitive but I read that the higher percentage alcohol can harden some microbes against drying out and the 70% alcohol drys them out just right. Or, perhaps the difference, if any, is minimal and it really doesn't make much of a difference. You've been happy with the higher percentage alcohol.

I'm hoping to start some cactus cuttings on media soon to clone some cold hardy cacti. I'm waiting for some BAP.
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Shane wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:59 am I've been thinking about doing the same. I have no TC experience, but it's always seemed like an interesting thing to try. I've been reading "Plants from Test Tubes: An Introduction to Micropropagation", the quintessential comprehensive introduction to TC. Incidentally, it includes protocols for a few cacti. Would be very interested to hear your experience
If any1 wants to download it
Sarraceniacrazy

SoilSifter wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:10 am I've read that 70% alcohol is better to use than a higher percentage. Seems counter-intuitive but I read that the higher percentage alcohol can harden some microbes against drying out and the 70% alcohol drys them out just right. Or, perhaps the difference, if any, is minimal and it really doesn't make much of a difference. You've been happy with the higher percentage alcohol.

I'm hoping to start some cactus cuttings on media soon to clone some cold hardy cacti. I'm waiting for some BAP.
Thank you for the tip! Ill keep that in mind once i start back up.
Sarraceniacrazy

Edwindwianto wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:26 am
If any1 wants to download it
Thanks for the link Edwin! Im sure this will be very resourceful as its been close to 6 years since ive TCed anything.
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Sarraceniacrazy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:31 am Thanks for the link Edwin! Im sure this will be very resourceful as its been close to 6 years since ive TCed anything.
No problem Sarra
Good luck and have fun 👍
7george

Post by 7george »

http://lillo.org.ar/revis/lilloa/2018/v ... n1-a03.pdf
Here is some methodical description and photos even most in Portuguese.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8