Help with your L. williamsii

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Steve Johnson

Help with your L. williamsii

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Edwin,

I accidentally deleted your post in the Sick Cacti forum, so my sincerest apologies about that. Here's the relevant bit I snagged before I made the boo-boo:
Edwindwianto wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:31 ami will re-pot it this saturday with fresh and dry substrate (coarse silica sand and lime stone)
When I was helping you with your Arios, we didn't have a chance to discuss the type of mix you're using, so let's do that now...

Even though it's coarse, silica sand is not a good material for cactus mixes. The best mineral for that is pumice because it has the unique combination of open porosity and good moisture retention. Bonsai nurseries usually sell pumice, so if you have one in your area, find out if you can get it there. The climate in Bangkok is humid enough to grow your cacti in pure pumice. The only drawback is that you'll have to fertilize your cacti every time you water. If this is doable for you, I can guide you on the fertilizer aspect.

If you can't get pumice, your other options for the mineral are crushed granite poultry grit or calcined clay cat litter. Since the crushed granite/calcined litter don't retain moisture, you'll need to add some soil to the mix for good moisture retention so that the roots of your cacti can take up water. 3 parts mineral to 2 parts soil will give you a good mix, but be sure to mix it thoroughly before you repot. If you want to add limestone to the mix, it shouldn't be more than 5% of the overall mix.

A couple more things here. First, the mixes I'm recommending will be good for your Lophophora and your Arios. Second, my rule of thumb for repotting is to let the plants settle in for a week or two after you repot, then give them deep watering. If you have any more questions, please let me know.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
TimN

Re: Help with your L. williamsii

Post by TimN »

One tiny correction, calcined clay is porous and does absorb water. That's it's reason for being...
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

TimN wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm One tiny correction, calcined clay is porous and does absorb water. That's it's reason for being...
Yes, it's largely why it's such a good medium, alone or as part of a soil mix.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Thanks for correcting me on that, guys.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Hi Steve and others,
Thanks for your advices

But after i contemplated for several days...i guess (i'am not sur but i want to try this methode first) the problem lies in the fact that i didn't clean the root from the black substrate that the seller gave...

My base of thinking are
1) i bought A. fissuratus, A. retusus var. trigonus and L. williamsii at roughly the same time before i read about the importance of cleaning the seller's soil (also Steve suggested it too along with soaking the root in H. peroxide)
2) A. fissuratus is doing well until now, because when i got it, it still didn't have much fine roots for the black dirt to cling to
3) A. retusus var. trigonus started to develop yellow tip, but when the pot was accidently knocked over by somebody, i had to re-pot it and while doing so, i followed Steve's suggestion...i cleaned the root and the yellow tip stopped spreading!
4) L. williamsii has been the only one who having that seller's soil around the root, until now...
5) i also have L. diffusa which has been in my care for 1 month with clean root (i cleaned it upon arrival) and i put it in the same substrate as the others (coarse silica sand and lime stone chips) and it is doing well...happy and have a lime green color...not like my L. williamsii which has a dull dark green color (i guess this color reflects that it is sick)

So...today...
1) i clean thoroughly the root from the black dirt
rsz_20200109_073415.jpg
rsz_20200109_073415.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
rsz_20200109_073434.jpg
rsz_20200109_073434.jpg (75.03 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
2) i re-pot it again in fresh substrate of coarse silica sand and lime stone chips
rsz_20200109_073257.jpg
rsz_20200109_073257.jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
3) i put the base of the plant slightly above the substrate, for observation and (i forget where did i read it) so that it don't touch the wet substrate for a long time (idk if this is a myth or a fact)
rsz_20200109_074344.jpg
rsz_20200109_074344.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
4) this is the end result and i will not water it this saturday. I will wait for 1 week to give it a time to "harden up"
rsz_20200109_074435.jpg
rsz_20200109_074435.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
5) i'll let you know the result in 2 weeks from now (i hope it will not die before 2 weeks has lapsed). If there is no improvement, please advice me more and i will try it. In the mean time, i'll search for some pumices.

6) oh yes, i also don't add the osmocote pellet in the new substrate (i was adding it in the old pot where the plant is sick)

Thanks guys

Regards,
EDWIN
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Hi All,

Just want to post an update

This is what my L. williamsii looks like after several weeks
rsz_20200130_075441.jpg
rsz_20200130_075441.jpg (58.9 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
It's base is still shrunk and wrinkled, not as plump as it used to
But apart from that...i see no problem at all
However, i still need to find out if it grows or not (is stunned or not)...and I still can't tell...

I'll keep updating

Thanks All

EDWIN
Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Steve Johnson wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:56 am Hi Edwin,

I accidentally deleted your post in the Sick Cacti forum, so my sincerest apologies about that. Here's the relevant bit I snagged before I made the boo-boo:
Edwindwianto wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:31 ami will re-pot it this saturday with fresh and dry substrate (coarse silica sand and lime stone)
When I was helping you with your Arios, we didn't have a chance to discuss the type of mix you're using, so let's do that now...

Even though it's coarse, silica sand is not a good material for cactus mixes. The best mineral for that is pumice because it has the unique combination of open porosity and good moisture retention. Bonsai nurseries usually sell pumice, so if you have one in your area, find out if you can get it there. The climate in Bangkok is humid enough to grow your cacti in pure pumice. The only drawback is that you'll have to fertilize your cacti every time you water. If this is doable for you, I can guide you on the fertilizer aspect.

If you can't get pumice, your other options for the mineral are crushed granite poultry grit or calcined clay cat litter. Since the crushed granite/calcined litter don't retain moisture, you'll need to add some soil to the mix for good moisture retention so that the roots of your cacti can take up water. 3 parts mineral to 2 parts soil will give you a good mix, but be sure to mix it thoroughly before you repot. If you want to add limestone to the mix, it shouldn't be more than 5% of the overall mix.

A couple more things here. First, the mixes I'm recommending will be good for your Lophophora and your Arios. Second, my rule of thumb for repotting is to let the plants settle in for a week or two after you repot, then give them deep watering. If you have any more questions, please let me know.
Why is silica sand not a good additive for cacti?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sarraceniacrazy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:59 amWhy is silica sand not a good additive for cacti?
The coarse silica sand Edwin is using doesn't provide any water retention, and that's why he would be better off with pumice or calcined clay cat litter in his mix because either mineral retains enough water to keep his cacti happy as their roots soak it up. Fine sand is horrible for the free drainage we need in cactus mixes.

By the way -- calcined cat litter does retain water, so I'll correct the error when I originally said that it doesn't.
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

I do some demonstration of the water retention ability of the coarse silica sand in this post

EDIT
How much water is retained by sands, can be read at this post
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Hi every1
Just want to give an update of my L. williamsii

This late March...it starts to show lime green color, replacing it's dull green color, starts from the center...
rsz_20200323_103336.jpg
rsz_20200323_103336.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
And the wrinkling part is puffed up until it is raised above the ground...wow...
See the diffecrence from these photos...how it is puffed up...
rsz_20200323_103308.jpg
rsz_20200323_103308.jpg (56.48 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
rsz_20200323_103241.jpg
rsz_20200323_103241.jpg (60.76 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
Idk why my williamsii was wrinkling at the first place...
All i did was cleaning the sellers's peat based soil from it's root...

It didn't response to any watering...it continued wrinkling and appeared stagnant...
I guess Tim was right...this is just seasonal thing...

But now, it starts to grow again...i'am so happy to see this transformation...

Thanks for all the suggestions 🙏

Question
BTW, what is that "wet mark" at it's base...i assure you that it is dry on the outside surface, it only appears wet...
But, i observe this for months without any ill effect...so i have never change my watering regime (once a week)
But, i would like very much to know...what is it?

Thanks

EDWIN