Ferocactus plant ID, please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Ferro

Ferocactus plant ID, please

Post by Ferro »

Good afternoon dear cactus friends,
The raised from a seed mixture plant surely is a ferocactus; I call it gracilis but am not sure of it. Can you approve of my guess?
IMG_3425.JPG
IMG_3425.JPG (75.4 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Edwindwianto

Re: Ferocactus plant ID, please

Post by Edwindwianto »

I'am not good at this

But i guess it is Fero gracilis
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

IDing young Feros is not easy, but you could be right.
Spence :mrgreen:
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

greenknight wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:41 am IDing young Feros is not easy, but you could be right.
Actually, this plant is about 11 years old, but all I can give it is a sunny (sometimes) windowsill facing south-west between midday and 6 pm. How old should a ferro be to have definitely recognizable features?
And Edwindwianto - thanks for your participation! :-)
7george

Post by 7george »

This might be also Ferocactus emoryi or even F. wislizeni.

For an exact ID the cactus should be in more-less blooming size or in its habitat.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

Ferro wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 pm And Edwindwianto - thanks for your participation! :-)
NP abd sorry i'am not helping...i'am still learning to identify correctly

Good luck with finding the true name

EDWIN
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's still in its juvenile form, where the areoles are on prominent tubercles (big bumps), mature specimens are less tuberculate. How long until it takes its mature form? I can't say exactly, but I have a Ferocactus pilosis that I grew, like you, from a packet of mixed seed, and it took about 20 years.
Spence :mrgreen:
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

greenknight wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:16 am It's still in its juvenile form, where the areoles are on prominent tubercles (big bumps), mature specimens are less tuberculate.
I see your point; so I'd rather wait till the single areoles turn into rib lines!
greenknight wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:16 am...I have a Ferocactus pilosis that I grew, like you, from a packet of mixed seed, and it took about 20 years.
All right! 9 years more to go - and voila!- I'll find out the truth! :roll: Thanks for your info!
Ferro

Post by Ferro »

7george wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm This might be also Ferocactus emoryi or even F. wislizeni.
Thanks, I'll have that in mind as well.
7george wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pmFor an exact ID the cactus should be in more-less blooming size...
I hope I'll see that with my own eyes...
Ferocactus57

Post by Ferocactus57 »

Could be gracilis problem though is if it is 11 years old it should have started flattening the lower central, and the upper centrals start becoming distinct. In addition wispy radials should have started appearing. Now with the information of it not getting tons of direct sun might account for this. Solitary hooked central that is not flattened aka rounded almost needle like would normally point to emoryi or acanthodes eastwoodie. We can easily throw out eastwoodie. If I am seeing incorrectly from the photo and the centrals are flattened you can safely assume gracilis or a hybrid of gracilis. If not getting it into more sun (slowly) would bring out characteristics better. If central remains solitary and needle like emoryi or emoryi hybrid, if it flattens and more radials come in turning centrals into a cross, gracilis or gracilis hybrid.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

F emoryi IMHO