Do you use a humidifier for your cacti

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Froxet

Do you use a humidifier for your cacti

Post by Froxet »

Hi guys!
As you can see from the title I have a question about the humidity level and the humidifiers.
I have a quite dry winter this year and I see my little cacti feel not very cool. After reading this article https://www.houzz.com/discussions/34264 ... for-plants I've bought a hygrometer to measure the humidity in their room and it was 30%. As it is known, they grow in a very dry climate but I'm not sure that 30% is good for houseplants. I haven't heard about humidifier for cacti and it seems strange but...do you use a humidifier for your cacti? If so, which one: warm mist or cool mist? I've read an article about cool mist humidifiers already and there was no word about cacti or just houseplants.
What do you think? What's your experience?
Thanks in advance!
Not all those who wander are lost
greenknight

Re: Do you use a humidifier for your cacti

Post by greenknight »

The only time desert cacti need humidity is when they're tiny seedlings. After that, it's best to keep them cool and dry during winter. If you can't keep them cool, you have to give them a little water once in a while - not enough to stimulate growth, they should be dormant now, but enough to keep the roots alive.
Spence :mrgreen:
Edwindwianto

Re: Do you use a humidifier for your cacti

Post by Edwindwianto »

Froxet wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:05 am I've bought a hygrometer to measure the humidity in their room and it was 30%.
Hi Frox

Me, i don't use any humidifier, since Bangkok's humidity is higher (66% - 79%) than that of the Mexican desert (23% - 48%)

What kind of cacti are you raising, Frox?
If they are Mexican desert ones, i think they would do just fine in your humidity...
Look, the current humidity of Chihuahuan desert is 29% and yours is 30%...
(You can click the corresponding month to know the details of that month)
Screenshot_2020-03-19-15-32-56-1.png
Screenshot_2020-03-19-15-32-56-1.png (108.64 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
But if they were the ones from South America, I would think that they indeed need higher humidity

EDWIN