cactuspro digital library

Cactus and Succulent Articles and Information from other Societies, Websites, or Groups
hob

cactuspro digital library

Post by hob »

Cactus and Succulent Digital Library in various languages of books in the public domain free to download in pdf format.

http://www.cactuspro.com/biblio/
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
apacholek10

Post by apacholek10 »

thanks Hob...think I will be there for a few hours tonight!
Anthony
taskan

Re: cactuspro digital library

Post by taskan »

thank you!
Have a good day!
Dave Adams

Post by Dave Adams »

Wow, that is one comprehensive list of books.
I have one of them- J Rhija & R Subik I find it quite useful and informative bit short though.
I have a few books one of my favourites is German Authourity on Cacti;
Erik Haustein's The Cactus Handbook, it has over 500 pics of Cacti with descriptions including number of ribs, spines, flowers and seedpods, country of habitat etc I find it very useful
(I bought it for 50pence) about half a dollar ? I will be interested to look at Britton & Rose Cactacea (I have never seen it in England?) and Curt Backeberg's books also Walter Rausch's books (the observations of Rausch?) concerning Lobivia. I did not see Edgar & Brian Lamb on the list though, they own the Exotic Collection in Worthing, Sussex, England - Authors of the Pocket Encyclopedia of Cacti & Succulents (1969) Blandford Press or anything by Terry Hewitt he owns Holly Gate Nursery in West Sussex, England Author of A pocket guide to Cacti & Succulents and contributor to The RHS Ecnyclopedia of Plants.
You can't have EVERYTHING though can you, thats just greed LOL :lol:

Thanks so much for sharing this with us all Bob.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have a couple of thousand cactus books and journals I have acquired over the years. That site is a very useful resource. I used to have Rausch's books but my friend had them off me as he was always borrowing them.

Some of your comments Dave should be in the past tense. The Lambs did have the Exotic collection but when his father died Brian the son moved what was left of the collection over to his place in Spain and was for a time the curator of the Gibraltar Botanical Gardens and retired just before he died. Terry Hewitt also died and as far as I am aware Holgate nursery now no longer exists.

I picked up a secondhand copy of the original 6 volumes of Backeberg's Die Cactaceae a year or two ago far cheaper than the reprint sells for. I have the Britton and Rose Cactaceae in the reprint form and that was regularly available in the UK.

For cactus books both new and secondhand in the UK Dave try Keith's Cactus Books who will put you on his regular emailing list. However the more comprehensive and exotic cactus works now run to over £100 for a two volume work. And as I found books and journal collecting can become just as addictive as collecting the plants. As the more expensive works are often not reprinted their secondhanded value is now often more than they cost new.

http://www.keithscactusbooks.co.uk/

The latest and most comprehensive work on the Cactaceae is Joel Lode's one. The first two volumes are out and he is talking about another two and perhaps five volumes altogether:-

http://keithsplantbooks.co.uk/details.a ... oel&prev=Y

http://cactus-aventures.com/Taxonomy/Td ... ctENG.html

Now David Hunt has died his New Cactus Lexicon based on morphology is unlikely to be further updated and DNA Sequencing has found some of the ultra lumping of genera under Rebutia etc are unfounded.
Dave Adams

Post by Dave Adams »

Thanks for that Dave, I stand corrected :oops: .I was unaware of Terry Hewitt's death, and the movement of the Lamb's Collection to The Botanic Gardens in Spain.I know that the books are from the seventies and that the Lamb's would probably have died by now.
We have lost so many great Cacti Authourities including Gordon Rowley.
I was looking at Joel Lode's Website the other day and think I tried to mail him; he has a extensive collection of plants from what I have seen on Cactiguide and on Joel's own Website.
Thanks again for the update Dave.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Joel edits Cactus Adventures International. He has also published the latest classification based on DNA that splits up a lot of David Hunt's morphologically lumped genera again.

https://cactus-aventures.com/body_joellodeENG.html

https://cactus-aventures.com/pageweb_ENG.html

Because we cannot hold meetings due to the shutdown the British Cactus and Succulent Society is doing a series of online lectures or talks about an hour long using Zoom anybody can listen to anywhere in the world on their computers or tablets etc. See here for dates and times just click on the links to download zoom just before the talk starts and the code word to enter is "cactus" which seems to work best in small letters.

https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u=6e ... 9f8ce959d4

Ian Thwaits BCSS Chairman says:-

"I am very pleased to announce that we have been able to arrange the following live Zoom meetings. While the lockdown is in place, we will attempt to schedule a meeting every week until the end of June. I am determined that the Society will support Cactus and Succulent lovers all over the world during this difficult time and we welcome members and non-members to attend. These meetings are a showcase to what the hobby is about and we welcome absolute beginners through to the more experienced amongst us. We have a Zoom licence for 500 participants and currently have almost 300 attending so we have more space for visitors (if necessary, we could extend this to 1000 participants)."
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Should have added for those abroad remember Britain is on British Summer Time (BST) at the moment when converting meeting start times to your time zones as that is one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Our clocks go one hour forward in summer.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Another comment that should be in the past tense, I'm afraid. https://www.cactuspro.com/forum/read.ph ... msg-753019
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Shame Phil but I fear most cactus journals will eventually finish on the Web in PDF form to download for free. The cost of printing and postage is now making printed material rather dear to both print and distribute. Also few want to pay for anything posted on the Web and subscribe for it, unlike in printed form.

Even the Encyclopedia Britannica has normally stopped printing volumes and put them on CD's instead.

"In March 2012, the company announced that the 2010 edition would be the last printed version. This was announced as a move by the company to adapt to the times and focus on its future using digital distribution. The peak year for the printed encyclopaedia was 1990 when 120,000 sets were sold, but it dropped to 40,000 in 1996. 12,000 sets of the 2010 edition were printed, of which 8,000 had been sold as of 2012. By late April 2012, the remaining copies of the 2010 edition had sold out at Britannica's online store."