Peat

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
stefanalex17

Peat

Post by stefanalex17 »

Hi! I saw that many people are avoiding peat? Why? It is really bad? I try to put in my soil mixes 20%-30% peat as organic part, then the other 70%-80% part is mineral(perlite and rushed brick). What do you think? Also i could use forest soil, but i can t sterilize that soil. I can just put boiling water in order to kill some bacteria and insects. So what should i do?
Also, how is coir vs peat?
Shane

Re: Peat

Post by Shane »

I think the consensus is too much peat is bad. I use peat too, in combination inorganic ingredients (gravel, perlite)
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Knowing your location would be helpful.
It depends on your weather (temperatures and humidity) and the plants you are growing. I use heaps of peat in my environment with no problems. For example, columnars get up to 50% peat, mammillarias around 20-30% and rebutias even less
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefanalex17

Post by stefanalex17 »

I m in Romania, East Europe
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Some people say that once desiccated peat can't be re-wetted again, but it actually can. You just have to use warm water or horticultural soap. Both facilitate re-wetting it. In my climate though peat is a very minor ingredient.
stefanalex17

Post by stefanalex17 »

It is fine to use warm water on potted plants?
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

It depends upon the plant and the temperature and the time of year, but yes. In many parts of Mexico the heavy summer rain is often warm to the touch. I can't really speak for South America. When I am treating plants with a systemic of some sort, I always use warm water at night. The difference in effectiveness is noticeable over time which leads me to believe that they absorb it better.

That's how I first noticed that it also re-wets desiccated peat.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

My first handful of cacti survived most of ten years on peat and perlite. Since finding this site with the singular question of the best cactus soil mix did I discover that big box store potting soil does not equate to the healthy cactus soil. It retains too much water and when dehydrated retains none at all. So I've repotted everything to a good balance of coarse sand graduating up through fine and coarser gravels with perlite galore (I hate this stuff, too)....and one scoop of peaty, dirt, soil mix.
Last edited by Steve-0 on Wed May 13, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

There is some opposition to using because of environmental impacts as well. I'll let you do your homework on that. There are companies that sell peat from sources that are more sustainable as well.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.