Lithops in the tropics (Sri Lanka)

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Russell99

Lithops in the tropics (Sri Lanka)

Post by Russell99 »

Please share some information on how to grow these. I can't provide them with cool nights time temperatures
trashcanteoh

Re: Lithops in the tropics (Sri Lanka)

Post by trashcanteoh »

i live in Malaysia, i keep them regularly and i also don't provide them any cool nights. Mine still flowers and splits normally, just follow the winter care and all is fine. make sure the place you keep them in is dry and has good air flow, Humidity is a killing factor. However,since we live in the tropics expect a few to suddenly die without reason. Especially after you get them, within a month some just turn mushy without reason regardless if you've watered it or not, this is as i said most likely due to humidity. I hope you find this information helpful and happy growing! also another helpful tip is to watch out for the rain hahaha
-j3det30h-
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

trashcanteoh wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:03 pm Humidity is a killing factor. However,since we live in the tropics expect a few to suddenly die without reason.
I personally don't think humidity is a factor. If we are talking about air humidity, and not moisture of the soil. Although humidity could be higher where you are, but for the same it is much dryer. Up here humidity is usually about 70%. During autumn and winter usually higher. I do keep my Lithops dry and they do get cool temperatures, but air humidity is still high.

I do think that Lithops are very prone to rot after repotting. Probably has to do with the roots getting damaged, and then rot sets in from the roots upwards, especially if you water the plants while the roots are still damaged.

So if you suddenly lose plants, have you been repotting them recently by any chance?
trashcanteoh

Post by trashcanteoh »

Aiko wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:27 pm
trashcanteoh wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:03 pm Humidity is a killing factor. However,since we live in the tropics expect a few to suddenly die without reason.
I personally don't think humidity is a factor. If we are talking about air humidity, and not moisture of the soil. Although humidity could be higher where you are, but for the same it is much dryer. Up here humidity is usually about 70%. During autumn and winter usually higher. I do keep my Lithops dry and they do get cool temperatures, but air humidity is still high.

I do think that Lithops are very prone to rot after repotting. Probably has to do with the roots getting damaged, and then rot sets in from the roots upwards, especially if you water the plants while the roots are still damaged.

So if you suddenly lose plants, have you been repotting them recently by any chance?
Yep, i was talking about after you pot em up. Also for me, I'm not sure why but my lithops really hate the humidity, they just die on me for absolutly no reason. Also i kinda live next to a rainforest reserve so that may aid in the high humidity factor. Anyways i totally agree with the damaged root part. dont forget to air-dry your roots!!!! i always forget!
-j3det30h-