Help id these please?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ilariav

Help id these please?

Post by ilariav »

These two are from a packet of "cactus seed" that I bought years ago and found at last. These two seem to be the same type. The spines are slightly different color as shown in the pic. The whole first year they just sat there small and skinny and didn't grow much. Now they are taking off and growing. Should I worry about the skinny neck? re-plant deeper, cut off and re-root, ignore it?
Any ideas on what they might be?
cactus 3a.JPG
cactus 3a.JPG (48.95 KiB) Viewed 419 times
I got this one as a cutting last winter. It just seems to grow in a semi-recumbent manner. The pads/segments are more oval than flat, but it looks like something in the opuntiad family. I just laid it flat on the surface (of the soil) and it rooted right in, in the middle. You can see the old cut on one end sticking up.
cactus 2a.JPG
cactus 2a.JPG (57.18 KiB) Viewed 419 times
I purchased this one earlier this summer. Since it decided to bloom for me, perhaps someone can id it? I looked thru the mammillaria pics and some are similar, but this one has almost no spines, there are a some small ones buried in the fluff on top.
cactus 1a.JPG
cactus 1a.JPG (74.96 KiB) Viewed 419 times
cactus 1b.JPG
cactus 1b.JPG (48.55 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Lucy_V

Re: Help id these please?

Post by Lucy_V »

Your seedlings look like Ferocactus, but very difficult to narrow down to the species until they grow and take particular shape. Plant on the second photo looks like some kind of Malhueniopsis IMHO (conoidea, minuta or other). The blloming one is Mammillaria polythele cultivar 'sin pico' (means no spines) -
http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... e_sin_pico
ilariav

Post by ilariav »

Thanks! plant 3 does look like that one on lifle. I figured that it was iffy getting any id on the babies (1) but there it is. I'll look up the other one.(2) I figure maybe someday it will bloom and that might be definitive.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

As for the skinny necks on those first two, I would just wait and see how they develop for now. When it comes time to pot them up, you might get away with setting them a little deeper, but it's safer to use a top dressing of coarse gravel/small rocks to support them so it doesn't hold moisture around the neck of the cacti.
Spence :mrgreen: