When Cactus Turn Yellow

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
MikeInOz

Re: When Cactus Turn Yellow

Post by MikeInOz »

="Steve Johnson" post_id=377400 time=1598231546 user_id=4655]
Why isn't the same standard being applied to Nitrogen, then? Going with the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7 -- 2.1% is ammoniacal Nitrogen (NH4), and 4.9% is nitrate Nitrogen (NO3). If we take the Hydrogen out of the ammoniacal, and Oxygen out of the nitrate, it'll give us the actual N going into the plant, and IMO this is what we should really be looking at. If I'm wrong here, please correct me.
Computer problems but I'll try to get this out without it freezing!
The 7%N in the fert is the percentage of the actual element available to the plant. The 7P and 7K is NOT the percentage of those elements available to the plant. To convert,.....Use 0.44 x the P2O5 listed (7) = 3.08% of the element P available to the plant. And 0.83 x the K20 listed (7) = 5.8% of the element K available to the plant.

My contention that a 1:1:1 NPK ratio is best for cacti refers to the ratio of fertilizer salts, and 99% of hobbyist growers will only go by that because they either don't know or don't care about the actual Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. Does it even matter?
Well yes and no. As you know, too much N results in bloated plants which are more prone to diseases and pests, too much P can interfere with trace element uptake especially iron and it can reduce flowering. Too much K is very rare and usually not an issue.
So given that the recommendation for strong, resilient and compact cacti which flower well, it is generally recommended that cacti should receive lowish N concentrations and highish K concentrations. From my own research the most desirable RATIO not the concentration, would be around 10 - 4 -15. In the US system that would be something like 10-9-18. The 15 % K is probably more important late in the season when light levels are lower because it strengthens cell walls and regulates stem elongation.

• "Parts-per-million measures what you actually put on the plants. If you put 2-7-7 on without diluting it you would kill them, so it is pretty pointless to say you use 2-7-7 without saying how much you dilute it. Also pretty pointless to say you use 7-7-7 instead of 20-20-20 since they will both be the same by the time you put them on the plants.

Rather than give two or three different bits of information and expect people to work it out for themselves, just give the ppm and everyone knows exactly what it means. Except they don't because people have been conditioned since birth to think that numbers are hard :( "
He's right about that. Mike, you don't have any problem with math, but I'll break it down for the people who do. 7-7-7 means 7% Nitrogen salts, 7% Phosphorus salts, and 7% Potassium salts. We'll go through the numbers diluting 1/2 teaspoon of the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7 in a gallon of water:

1 gallon = 768 tsp., so we'll double that to 1536 half-teaspoons

7/100/1536 x 1,000,000 = 46 ppm.
Yes. The actual concentration given is to be based on experience and trials. Obviously you don't want to over feed. The recommendations given on fertilizer packets has been worked out by the manufacturers to allow you to use as much as possible without adversely affecting the plant. This way they get to sell as much fertilizer as they can. The ppm or concentration should be worked out according to your environment, the type of mix you use and how often you water between feeding etc etc.
Now we'll break down the two forms of Nitrogen. Based on Iann's understanding of it, 32 ppm. of the nitrate N is used up by the plant first, and 14 ppm. of the ammonium N is used up last. So, is the Nitrogen really too high? In this case, I think not.

I was suggesting the N was too high for the K (or better, the other way round) In other words I don't really think your N is too high but rather that I would increase the K to N ratio. The actual ''amounts'' (ppm) you give is up to you. It's the interaction between the N the P and the K I'm concerned with if that makes sense.

Those two studies are fine as far as they go, but A. they're limited in scope, and B. they're too esoteric to be of any use to hobbyists who are trying to grow their cacti as well as they can. All I can offer is 9 years of anecdotal evidence showing that the fertilizer I chose has produced consistent results which are better than I could've imagined back in 2012. I also know that there's no such thing as a "right" way to grow cacti, and comparing notes with the shared experience of individual growers gives all of us the ability to learn from each other.
I was trying to illustrate that the P given in high P fertilizers was bunk. In Australia, because we use the N P K system, it means that some fertilizers with crazy amounts of P eg, 7, 14, 15 or something means I am giving 14% available P to the plant which is not only unnecessary but counterproductive. I think your fertilizer is fine and you should absolutely continue with it if it gives you the results. You probably have very good light levels in winter? That makes a big difference.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Mike,

Yes, the wintertime light levels in my area are quite good. With regard to the Dyna-Gro ferts, here are the economics of it...

Dyna-Gro All Pro comes only by the gallon, priced on Amazon at $66.00. Not an issue for me because I can afford it. I recommended the Orchid Pro 7-8-6 for people who can't or who would rather not pay that much. Comes in 8 oz. bottles priced on Amazon at $14.00 (one seller there has it as a limited-time deal at $9.00). Dyna-Gro also has Pro-Tekt 0-0-3:

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-DYTEK00 ... 236&sr=8-3

If the K in the Orchid Pro 7-8-6 is too low, I'm wondering if adding the 0-0-3 would bring things into proper balance. I'll defer to your expertise as a horticulturalist, so please let us know if it will.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:39 am

If the K in the Orchid Pro 7-8-6 is too low, I'm wondering if adding the 0-0-3 would bring things into proper balance. I'll defer to your expertise as a horticulturalist, so please let us know if it will.
I wouldn't use it. I thought about it once but discovered potassium silicate is very alkaline and you'd be hassling around trying to get the pH of the solution back down. Why not just use regular old potassium sulphate. (KSO4) (The 7-8-6 is quite low in sulphate S too anyway Actually too low unless your water has some in it. ...https://dyna-gro.com/product/orchid-pro/ ). You could give them that straight every 3rd or 4th feeding (what I do sometimes at 1/4 recommended strength) or add some to your final solution.
I make up my own mix by using a part 1 of a hydroponic fertilizer like this... http://www.solublefertilisers.com.au/wp ... alysis.jpg
then add ammonium sulphate and ammonium phosphate to bring up the N and P a bit and rely on gypsum and/or limestone for the calcium. I don't bother with the calcium nitrate. And I like to increase trace elements as well. But then I like messing around trying make up what I think is the best and other doing other unnecessary things.... :?
That's why I have now blended 3 controlled release fertilizers to give me what I want for this coming season so all have to do is water. Luckily I have plenty of rainwater.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I used this for many years and the plants were happy.
711XfbvoGvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
711XfbvoGvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
Then I switched to this. Growth and overall health is really amazing.
81fQBXfo0yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81fQBXfo0yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (49.08 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MikeInOz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:57 am
Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:39 am If the K in the Orchid Pro 7-8-6 is too low, I'm wondering if adding the 0-0-3 would bring things into proper balance. I'll defer to your expertise as a horticulturalist, so please let us know if it will.
I wouldn't use it. I thought about it once but discovered potassium silicate is very alkaline and you'd be hassling around trying to get the pH of the solution back down. Why not just use regular old potassium sulphate. (KSO4)
Hi Mike,

Wish you were on the forum 8 years ago...

Thanks for waving us off of the 0-0-3. Potassium sulfate is a great idea, although I was originally thinking of it more for the people using the Orchid Pro. However, since you educated me on the actual P and K values of US-made fertilizers, I'd like to revisit my All Pro 7-7-7, which is in fact 7-3.08-5.81. I'm no stranger to supplementing the fert, and every once in awhile I'll add 1/8 tsp. Ammonium sulfate (I believe it's 21-0-0) to the 1/2 tsp. of 7-7-7 per gallon of water for my watering solution. Potassium sulfate 0-0-50 is easily available on Amazon (that's where I got the Ammonium sulfate), so I'm up for some tinkering here. Since 10-4-15 is a more optimum ratio of NPK for cacti and succulents, and going by the P value in the 7-7-7, I'm coming up with 9-3-14. Sounds to me like I'll have a better NPK balance, so the tricky part will be to calculate the amounts of Ammonium sulfate and Potassium sulfate I'll need to add when I whip up gallons of my watering solution. (Nice thing is that I have only about 68 cacti in the collection, most of them are small, and my watering/fert routine is no burden at all.)

I must confess that I'm at a disadvantage here because I speak only in teaspoons, cups, and gallons with this kind of stuff. My guess is that the Ammonium sulfate and Potassium sulfate will be in fractions of a tsp., so if you could help me out with the right fractions of each, I would really appreciate that.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
bartab

Post by bartab »

Guys, I was in a local store the other day to pick up some coir. It was a store focusing on hydroponics and also marijuana growing products. I was absolutely stunned by the breadth of fertilizer products, and very specialized ones at that. Rack after rack of products, some of which contained only slight concentrations of a particular element. I think I noticed a couple that provided small amounts of only potassium. I was stunned, and as I walked out I told the guy I never knew these were available and said I'd be back. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Covid has kicked me into retirement so I have plenty of time. I will go through this tonight to get a better understanding and see what I can find. I love experimenting.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:44 pm
MikeInOz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:57 am
Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:39 am If the K in the Orchid Pro 7-8-6 is too low, I'm wondering if adding the 0-0-3 would bring things into proper balance. I'll defer to your expertise as a horticulturalist, so please let us know if it will.
I wouldn't use it. I thought about it once but discovered potassium silicate is very alkaline and you'd be hassling around trying to get the pH of the solution back down. Why not just use regular old potassium sulphate. (KSO4)
Hi Mike,

Wish you were on the forum 8 years ago...

Thanks for waving us off of the 0-0-3. Potassium sulfate is a great idea, although I was originally thinking of it more for the people using the Orchid Pro. However, since you educated me on the actual P and K values of US-made fertilizers, I'd like to revisit my All Pro 7-7-7, which is in fact 7-3.08-5.81. I'm no stranger to supplementing the fert, and every once in awhile I'll add 1/8 tsp. Ammonium sulfate (I believe it's 21-0-0) to the 1/2 tsp. of 7-7-7 per gallon of water for my watering solution. Potassium sulfate 0-0-50 is easily available on Amazon (that's where I got the Ammonium sulfate), so I'm up for some tinkering here. Since 10-4-15 is a more optimum ratio of NPK for cacti and succulents, and going by the P value in the 7-7-7, I'm coming up with 9-3-14. Sounds to me like I'll have a better NPK balance, so the tricky part will be to calculate the amounts of Ammonium sulfate and Potassium sulfate I'll need to add when I whip up gallons of my watering solution. (Nice thing is that I have only about 68 cacti in the collection, most of them are small, and my watering/fert routine is no burden at all.)

I must confess that I'm at a disadvantage here because I speak only in teaspoons, cups, and gallons with this kind of stuff. My guess is that the Ammonium sulfate and Potassium sulfate will be in fractions of a tsp., so if you could help me out with the right fractions of each, I would really appreciate that.
Now you're stretching me!
First I think you don't need to add the ammonium just the potassium. You want the K/N ratio to be the same not the quantities of N or K or P. So you have to work out the ppm of the potassium of your ready-to-use solution from the 7-7-7. To do that you multiply the % of the nutrient element in the concentrate (in this case 5.81 K) x 10 x the number of ml per litre of water in the instructions.
This from one of my books... ''Example... A fertilizer contains 3% (w/v) K and the instruction is to dissolve 50ml in 5lt water. This addition rate 50/5 = 10 ml per litre.
The concentration of K in the final solution will be 3 x 10 x 10 = 300ppm K'' You'll have to do the conversions to ml per gallon or teaspoon per gallon or whatever the instruction on the bottle are. There is about 6 ml in one teaspoon.

Then :lol: add the potassium to give you the ppm K you want. In your case, you want to double the ppm of K Something like that.
That would give you something like 7-3.08-11.5 . The K/N ratio of 10-4-15 is.... (15 divided by 4) = 1.5 The K/N ratio of 7-3.08-11.5 is... (11.5 divided by 7) = 1.6. In other words, more or less the same ratio. (your 9-3-14 also gives you the same ratio of 1.5 K/N)
0.22grms of Potassium sulphate (powder) in one litre of water will give you 100ppm K. There are about 4 or so grams in a teaspoon.
Once you do that you'll never have to do it again. Good luck with the conversions!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Yeah, I have a bad habit of wearing people out. Thanks for your help, Mike, and I won't talk about this again.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:03 am Yeah, I have a bad habit of wearing people out. Thanks for your help, Mike, and I won't talk about this again.
Please talk about it all you want Steve. Cultivation is my favourite subject. Just don't ask me to do too much math. :D
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:09 pm I used this for many years and the plants were happy.
711XfbvoGvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Then I switched to this. Growth and overall health is really amazing.
81fQBXfo0yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Cactus loving calcium? Is that calcium that loves cactus?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MikeInOz wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:39 amPlease talk about it all you want Steve. Cultivation is my favourite subject. Just don't ask me to do too much math. :D
Right there with you -- math was never my strong suit. Now, if you wouldn't mind indulging me in some shameless self-promotion...

I do almost all of my work over at Member Blogs, and my big annual presentations are the end-of-summer reviews. I'm close to wrapping up the 2019 review, so if you'd like to check it out, start at the beginning here:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 10#p365647

A lot of photos, and a lot of blathering to go along with them, but hopefully you'll find it a little bit entertaining.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MikeInOz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:57 amThe 7-8-6 is quite low in sulphate S too anyway Actually too low unless your water has some in it. ...
Sorry if I'm stretching you on this one...

I did the math, and with 1/2 tsp. of the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7 per gallon of water, N is 46 ppm., P is 20 ppm., and K is 38 ppm. If I add 1/8 tsp. 0-0-50 Potassium sulfate, that brings the K up to 110 ppm. Unless you think that's too high in relation to N, I'll get the Potassium sulfate at Amazon and start supplementing the 7-7-7 with it.

Interesting thing about the Sulfur aspect -- S in the 7-7-7 works out to be 330 parts-per-billion. That really is quite low, but adding the Potassium sulfate brings it up to 29 ppm. The tap water here in L.A. doesn't have any sulfur in it, so I'm thinking that the additional S might help. Mayne I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that 29 ppm. would lead to Sulfur toxicity in the cacti. If I'm right, would the benefits be noticeable? I'm fine with what I've been doing over the years, but there's always room for improvement. I'll be interested in getting your take on this.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:41 pm
MikeInOz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:57 amThe 7-8-6 is quite low in sulphate S too anyway Actually too low unless your water has some in it. ...
Sorry if I'm stretching you on this one...

I did the math, and with 1/2 tsp. of the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7 per gallon of water, N is 46 ppm., P is 20 ppm., and K is 38 ppm. If I add 1/8 tsp. 0-0-50 Potassium sulfate, that brings the K up to 110 ppm. Unless you think that's too high in relation to N, I'll get the Potassium sulfate at Amazon and start supplementing the 7-7-7 with it.

Interesting thing about the Sulfur aspect -- S in the 7-7-7 works out to be 330 parts-per-billion. That really is quite low, but adding the Potassium sulfate brings it up to 29 ppm. The tap water here in L.A. doesn't have any sulfur in it, so I'm thinking that the additional S might help. Mayne I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that 29 ppm. would lead to Sulfur toxicity in the cacti. If I'm right, would the benefits be noticeable? I'm fine with what I've been doing over the years, but there's always room for improvement. I'll be interested in getting your take on this.
You want the K about 1.5 times the N so add enough to bring it up to about 60-70 ppm. That's plenty. So I guess that would be 1/16 of a teaspoon more or less.
Sulphur toxicity is very rare. 15 ppm will do nothing but good if it's as low as you say. S deficiency shows up as general paleness. A lot of cacti grow in very high gypsum soils (calcium sulphate) so you can imagine how much S is available to them.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MikeInOz wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 amYou want the K about 1.5 times the N so add enough to bring it up to about 60-70 ppm. That's plenty. So I guess that would be 1/16 of a teaspoon more or less.
Sulphur toxicity is very rare. 15 ppm will do nothing but good if it's as low as you say. S deficiency shows up as general paleness. A lot of cacti grow in very high gypsum soils (calcium sulphate) so you can imagine how much S is available to them.
Excellent -- thanks so much for your help, Mike! :D
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to follow up with you. I've been supplementing 1/2 teaspoon of my Dyna Gro 7-7-7 with 1/16 tsp. 0-0-52 Potassium sulfate per gallon of water, and while it's too late in the growing season to see anything dramatic yet, I'm already seeing small signs of improvement here and there. Guess I'm finding out that it can take years of NPK imbalance before the problems finally catch up with us, and the same may apply with deficiency of minor nutrients such as Sulfur. Since the Potassium sulfate is now included in my regular watering regimen, I'll look forward to seeing further improvements over the course of next year's growing season.

Coming up on 9 years since I joined the forum, and you're the first professional horticulturalist who has explained the "ins and outs" of fertilizers in a way that's both detailed and understandable. Wish you were here about 8 years ago, but I'm sure glad you're here now. Thanks, Mike! :)