What species will this little cactus be

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
arturo conan

What species will this little cactus be

Post by arturo conan »

IT IS NOT APPRECIATED WELL BUT IT IS ABOUT 8CM. DIAMETER
Attachments
IMG_20200921_124341_opt.jpg
IMG_20200921_124341_opt.jpg (163.92 KiB) Viewed 935 times
IMG_20200921_232713_opt.jpg
IMG_20200921_232713_opt.jpg (151.04 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Russell99

Re: WHAT SPECIES WILL THIS LITTLE CACTUS BE

Post by Russell99 »

Some parodia type
7george

Post by 7george »

Russell99 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:45 pm Some parodia type
Yes, of Notocactus group for sure. Parodia concinna ?
Last edited by 7george on Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Please don't use all capitals in your text and in the title please. It is considered to be the textual equivalent of shouting. There is no need for shouting up here nor for cluttering up the index page with a shouting title.

I changed the title to lower capital letters.
anttisepp

Re: What species will this little cactus be

Post by anttisepp »

Notocactus arnostianus, compañero.
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

My guess is Notocactus agnetae. I am sure that this IS a Notocactus...

I prefer old-style Naming without those all-inclusive Parodia and Echinopsis genus introduced by Hunt, so I use names like Notocactus, Eriocactus, e.t.c. :)
arturo conan

Post by arturo conan »

I stay with anttisepp.
parody arnostianus.
on the other hand, notocactus no longer exists, it is now a parody and it is necessary to respect the taxonomic rules.

the inclusion of Notocactus (the type genus of the tribe) within Parodia was a decision of the International Organization for Succulent Plant Studies in the late 1980s.
arturo conan

Post by arturo conan »

the only thing aiko does is censure others.
I'm already protesting because I wrote in Spanish and now I have to use the translator, which sucks. Later, because I sent many identifications, now because I use capital letters and it says that I scream. I did it without realizing it, sorry.
Identify something and stop censoring others that here we come to have a good time, do not discuss
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I presume "Notocactus no longer exists" is a result of the translation problem Arturo? Once a genus is validly published it continues to exist. It can be reduced to synonymy under another genus as David Hunt did, "lumping them all under Parodia". But that is only that classifiers opinion and you are still free to use Notocactus. The New Cactus Lexicon morphological "lumping classification" has largely been dismantled by the newer Joel Lode' classification based more on DNA.

You can find the list of genera Lode' recognises here:-

http://cactus-aventures.com/Taxonomy/Ta ... ol.3-4.RTF

Unfortunately to get the books, just as with The New Cactus Lexicon, it will cost you well over £100 for the two volumes, therefore you need to be a dedicated Cactophile to afford them.

Yes there has grown up a Web etiquette. Such as "shouting" by using capital letters only in a post. Also using all small letters with no capitals at the start of a sentence I have seen people "flamed" for that on the Web. This "shouting" seems to be originally an American posting etiquette which I encountered early on when I went online. Also changing the direction of a thread from that started by the original poster, rather than starting a new thread. Something many of the American sites deplore, but the Europeans don't bother so much about and let them ev0lve as they go along. Although it can be annoying for a poster if they ask a question then somebody else diverts that thread in another direction, I must plead guilty on occasion for doing this. Anyway Arturo don't let these little things bug you, people either know them or don't.

https://www.thespruce.com/proper-intern ... ic%20forum.

We do of course also have our what may be described as "Botanical Etiquette" where you start a generic name with a capital letter but an infrageneric or specific name with a small or lower case letter, even if named after a person or place. That was decided by IOBN to avoid generic names being mistaken for specific names in print. Latin plant names should also be in italics = Mammillaria bocasana but few follow that convention on forums, but is usually adopted in botanical journals.

Language is another problem and sites do tend to adopt the language most people on them understand, therefore few would post in English on a Spanish or German site since few would understand them. We Brits are a very lazy people since few of us bother to learn other languages since even when the Yanks took over supposedly trying to run the world they adopted our language. However next time we all may have to learn Chinese if India does not beat them to it, since English is also the common language in India, a hangover from our colonial days just as with the USA. The French are up in arms since even when we leave the EU English is going to still be one of the authorised languages! :lol: