First time growing from seed

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mauicacti

First time growing from seed

Post by mauicacti »

Aloha,
I am new to the cactus world and I wanted to try and grow some cacti from seed. I have experience in other areas of horticulture but not cacti. The species I seem to be the most interested in at this time, I'm learning, are mostly slow growing. Can someone recommend a couple of species that are moderate to fast growers from seed? Thanks.
mmcavall

Re: First time growing from seed

Post by mmcavall »

Astrophytuns and Ferocactus are relatively easy and fast growers as seedlings. Columnars such as Pachycereus marginatus too.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

mauicacti wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:42 pm The species I seem to be the most interested in at this time, I'm learning, are mostly slow growing.
Which are those?

Gymnocalycium is also easy to grow, as are many Mammillaria (but not all...!), Echinocactus platyacanthus and E. grusonii, many Parodia / Notocactus. And I think Melocactus is easy for you too as you probably have warm weather most of the year (although they can be mealy bug attractors).
mauicacti

Post by mauicacti »

Aiko wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 pmWhich are those?
Ariocarpus and copiapoa. Is it true that they are slow growing?
mauicacti

Post by mauicacti »

mmcavall wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 pm Astrophytuns and Ferocactus are relatively easy and fast growers as seedlings. Columnars such as Pachycereus marginatus too.
Awesome! I think I'll start looking for some of those seeds.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

mauicacti wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 pm
Relatively, yes. But that does not need to stop you, it is not like they are agoning slow as Aztekium and Blossfeldia. Ariocarpus is a bit more sensitive regarding watering, that is one thing to keep in mind. I would still try to grow them from seed, if I were you. They are not hard as seedlings, just a bit harder as adult plants as the tuberous roots of adult plants of flowering age are sensitive. But with good light I am sure your plants will grow faster than mine.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

mmcavall wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 pm Astrophytuns and Ferocactus are relatively easy and fast growers as seedlings. Columnars such as Pachycereus marginatus too.
I'll say. I got germination on Pachycereus marginatus just one day after sowing. They were going strong for a couple of months until squirrels or pack rats ate the seedlings. It was fun while it lasted.
mauicacti

Post by mauicacti »

Aiko wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:49 pm
mauicacti wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 pm
Relatively, yes. But that does not need to stop you, it is not like they are agoning slow as Aztekium and Blossfeldia. Ariocarpus is a bit more sensitive regarding watering, that is one thing to keep in mind. I would still try to grow them from seed, if I were you. They are not hard as seedlings, just a bit harder as adult plants as the tuberous roots of adult plants of flowering age are sensitive. But with good light I am sure your plants will grow faster than mine.
Well, you made up my mind... thank you. I'll be gathering seeds and giving it a shot.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Echinopsis mirabilis (Setiechinopsis mirabilis) is very easy, and can bloom in its second year from seed. Surprised it hasn't already been mentioned.
Spence :mrgreen:
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

Haageocereus are also super easy from seed
mauicacti

Post by mauicacti »

I purchased some seeds from cactus store, mesa gardens and koehres. I also collected a couple seed pods from my own cacti and some have arrived. Waiting on the rest of the seeds and amazon to deliver the light and heat mat. Once all is here, I'll begin.