Should I give this to my cacti

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Should I give this to my cacti

Post by WayneByerly »

deleted by member
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

greenknight wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:13 am Sorry to hear you're not doing great.
Thanx.... Very kind of you
greenknight wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:13 am If you've got any space in your greenhouse...
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... Space in my greenhouse... Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

No disrespect intended, i assure you... but I've got to scrape and squeeze just to find some space because i put one plant in a slightly larger pot.

My Greenhouse is a home built project and is VERY cheap and VERY primitive ... Basically a very small (8'x8') wire basket covered with greenhouse plastic, which gets my xeric plants out in the bright sun where they prefer to be while still providing them a modicum of shade, keeps them out of the nearly incessant rain and is "sealed" well enough so that I can keep the internal temperature above 45F with the aid of a thermostatically controlled electrical outlet and a small heater in the wintertime.

I'll post a couple of pictures if you like but for the life of me I can't imagine that anyone would be terribly interested.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You have mentioned before how tiny your greenhouse is. You've also written about some plants you lost recently, I thought it was possible you might have a space you haven't filled yet. I should have known better. :lol:
Spence :mrgreen:
keith

Post by keith »

So I've ordered more pumice and a 25lb bag of chicken grit (granite) on top of that because the pumice also holds too much water (although not as bad) and I've got to do something about cutting down how much water my pots hold. "

Wayne I had to do the same thing too much pumice= rot. I bought small gravel at Home depot.

You may consider Bone Meal next time for cactus.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

keith wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:24 pm You may consider Bone Meal next time for cactus.
As grit, or as fertilizer?
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

greenknight wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:49 pm I should have known better. :lol:
Not to worry Spence ... I wish that I had mentioned at the time I laughed that your thoughtfulness in replying to my post trying to think of SOMETHING to help me out, was GREATLY appreciated. I tell you ... it's the friendliness and kindness and compassion and the helpfulness of the people at this forum that KEEPS me coming back ... over, and over, and over ...

But as appreciated as your post was, and as grateful as I was to you for being so thoughtful, here's why it wouldn't work out trying to grow anything else

West Side
a.jpg
a.jpg (108.65 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

South Side
b.jpg
b.jpg (89.77 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

Southeast side
c.jpg
c.jpg (97.85 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

East side small table
d.jpg
d.jpg (107.41 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

East side large table
e.jpg
e.jpg (111.15 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

East side large table over back behind
f.jpg
f.jpg (123.51 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

Outside of GH on East side is where all my Agave's are. Pardon the bad focus. I think I left the camera in Macro Mode when I was taking a picture of something small inside
g.jpg
g.jpg (135.64 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
You're a good guy Spence ... and I appreciate you... Thanks ... truly ... :D
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Hmmm... I DO have a small bit of floorspace available... A spot something like 2' x 5'... I didn't think of that... :lol:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yeah, you've got all kinds of wasted space there! :P

Of course, you do need to have some space to walk in... :-k
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

greenknight wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:38 pm Yeah, you've got all kinds of wasted space there! :P
How many of these "greens" plants do you think i could grow in 10 sq ft (2ft x 5ft... Remember?) Spence? Without sacrificing any space for stupid garbage-activities like walking? :shock:

I'd be willing yo share the crop ... extensive as it would be ... =D> :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The kind of growing I'm talking about, you you plant thickly and prune the tops to harvest, then it grows back and you can clip it again. You could get enough to perk up your salads, at least. Might be able to put some underneath the benches, squeeze some in around the edges...

Here's a good video that shows it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6tPN9G2xdQ
keith

Post by keith »

Fertilizer its finely ground like your blood meal.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi Wayne
Sylvatica and Elephantipes are two different species of the Dioscorea family. Do you have pictures of your plants?
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Hi Mike!

D. sylvatica and D. elephantipes are indeed two separate species. But the seeds that I bought are the hybridization of the two resulting in the name Discorea sylvatica x. elephantipes. Created for the purpose of obtaining a plant with what I have been told is "hybrid vigor". It has perhaps been successful to some extent, as today has only been 98 days since I put them in the ground, and the fella that sold me the seeds told me that these plants exhibit more growth than some of the plants that HE has that are five years old.

Although only TWO of MY seedlings have exhibited this degree of growth. One of which you will see below, and one of which died ... I think due to over-watering on my part.

In this picture you can see the base of of the one with the most growth to it and several of the leaves that have sprouted from its caudex.
a 100_0002 (1024x768).jpg
a 100_0002 (1024x768).jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
In this picture you can see the path that the climbing vine has taken on the "trellis" that I have created for it. It is a loop (approximately 9 inches wide) of heavy duty copper wire with some bamboo cooking skewers tied to it. Extremely primitive, but considering the size of the pot (4 inches) I think it will probably suffice until it gets big enough that I can put it in a larger pot and acquire a more "formal" lattice work.
a 100_0003 (1024x768).jpg
a 100_0003 (1024x768).jpg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
In this picture, you can see the relative size of the caudex of the seedling with the moxt expansive growth next to the American dime (about 17.9mm). The caudex of the other plants are no larger that about the size of a BB from an air rifle (about .177 inches or 4.5mm).
a 100_0012 (1024x768).jpg
a 100_0012 (1024x768).jpg (118.62 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
Two more have attained degrees of growth similar to this one that is in the next two pix. The "trellis" that I made for them is slightly smaller. There are two pix here, but the second plant is in the greenhouse and I didn't want to have to go outside to get it for a photo.
b 100_0003 (1024x768).jpg
b 100_0003 (1024x768).jpg (94.79 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
b 100_0004 (1024x768).jpg
b 100_0004 (1024x768).jpg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
and then there are two that only have a couple of leaves ... like this one. If you look REAL close inside the brown circle, you can see the caudex that is representative of all the plants other that the one in the first pic. Again, the second of these is still in the greenhouse.
c 100_0011 (1024x768).jpg
c 100_0011 (1024x768).jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

If you have any other questions, or I have misinterpreted the intent of your query, let me know. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have ... although I cannot promise that I will be as punctilious as you might like due to health. I'm an OLD (67) victim of a motorcycle accident 24 years ago, and a chronic pain patient. I don't always do real well. I'm reticent to say anything at all about that, but give the small amount of detail that I have so that you might understand the dilatory nature of any tenable responses.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines