Lophophora Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
LawyerNinja

Lophophora Seedlings

Post by LawyerNinja »

Hello All,

Have grown seedlings once and had not had the problems I am having now. I have two batches, seeds are a mix of different localities.

Seeds were sown first week of April, and seem to be stressing over something.

Seeds are in a south facing window and have been draped in cheese cloth to filter light as seen below.

Perlite, Sifted Peat Moss (to take the larger chunks out), sand, and small pieces of pumice

Setup:
  • Plastic Humidity domes which I have cut holes out of to reduce the humidity as they grew
I have a tent setup that I could transfer them to, but the temp in the tent stays in the high 80s to mid 70s at night when the light switches off.

Any help would be appreciated.

7george

Re: Lophophora Seedlings

Post by 7george »

Lophs are slow-growers, do not expect of them to act like mushrooms.

If you point to reddish colour of some of them this may be a sign of excessive light conditions. Also fungus is possible if soil stay constantly wet and growth is stopped.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Re: Lophophora Seedlings

Post by greenknight »

If by stressing, you mean that some are a bit red - they're not really too red. The growing tip is green, even on the reddest ones, so they're not actually hurting. This kind of color I consider ideal, it means the plants are getting the maximum amount of light that they can handle, they will make sturdy, stocky growth.

Darker red or purple would would mean the light was too strong, to the point where growth would be suppressed. This kind of pink color on the sides, but not on the top, is not a problem in my experience.
Spence :mrgreen: