Questions about overwintering in a heated home

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
christ_hears

Re: Questions about overwintering in a heated home

Post by christ_hears »

maybe i missed this, but where are you located?
"Beauty is often hidden behind a veil of ugly"
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Heated home is good for tropical forest cacti and brasilians (melo- disco- arrojado/piloso etc).
Other need relative cool temps and comlpete dryness during winter if it's not very small ones.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

@ christ_hears - maybe i missed this, but where are you located?

This is from the OP -558cbs1012 on my thread about moving cactus indoors:

"I live in the midwest, cacti are inside for the winter as it has already snowed and been below freezing. I need advice on proper winter care indoors for my setup. unfortunately my cacti room won't get as cold as is probably recommended. 60-68F. south facing window and full spectrum grow lights. I am struggling to find the answer on if i should water them at all in this setting set up. I have 4 1000 watt spider farmer grow lights a couple spot grow led lights and 2 led 4 ft grow lights. Any suggestions and knowledge would be greatly appreciated"
7george

Post by 7george »

Minimum or night temps are important for dormancy. Another tip: you can lower your night temps by installing programmable thermostat and setting lower night temps according your level of comfort of course. My air heating furnace usually doesn't kick in until outside temps drop to at least -15 C and I cannot sleep well when is hot at night. And even if feeling cool I prefer pyjamas and extra blankets.

But if you live in an apartment in most cases are screwed. Even if you have a thermostat and it works the heat penetrates from neighboring units. Some guys manage to turn their balcony into an winter refuge installing glass frames.

This photo is not taken in Canada. There is too many restrictions in condominiums here, often stupid. Also depends on the climate that should be milder (~ zone 7).
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
558cbs1012

Post by 558cbs1012 »

7george wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:22 am These cacti should be carefully watered just if their stems are in active growth. Temps you mentioned are rather winter ones for Mexico and other subtropics where these originate. Cacti of such a size will not dry out or die if kept dry for next 4 - 5 months.
Thank you for the advice, I have yet to water any of the larger ones since the first of september. I have a couple actively growing and contemplating giving them a little water. i am thinking i should give the smaller ones a drink at some point as well.
558cbs1012

Post by 558cbs1012 »

esp_imaging wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:54 pm
7george wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:22 am These cacti should be carefully watered just if their stems are in active growth. Temps you mentioned are rather winter ones for Mexico and other subtropics where these originate. Cacti of such a size will not dry out or die if kept dry for next 4 - 5 months.
If your daytime temps are 65-70f I'd expect growth, or even strong growth for some species, unless your night temps are much lower (say towards or below 50f).

Where you have a small light source (or any light source where the distance away is greater than the size of the light source), the light fall-off is extremely dramatic with increasing distance, approximating an "inverse square" rule - so something 2x further away gets 1/4 the light, something 10x further away gets 100th the light. Using side and top reflectors to bounce as much light back in as possible will be helpful.

if that's a south facing window, I'd want my plants level with it, rather than well below it, to take full advantage of all the free sunlight going.
thank you for the advice! the ones on the floor get good light from south and east windows on top of my grow lights which i have lowered where i can ( the pics look deceiving on the distance of them).
558cbs1012

Post by 558cbs1012 »

7george wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:46 am
558cbs1012 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:44 pm ... The temp usually ranges 65-70 in that room. Thank you all for your time and any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Some of the species will be dormant and some might grow. Grow lights mast be much closer to plants to provide sufficient light conditions. Using sunlight (bringing plants closer to the window) is a good idea.

Would you give us some feedback next spring about the outcome of your winter setup? Or you are just seeking free advices and suggestions?
i will definitely give an update come spring and let you know how it goes and what all i do till then