Identify this cactus please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
gggricardo

Identify this cactus please

Post by gggricardo »

I bought this cactus from a Chinese vendor recently, but unfortunately she didn't know the name, only that they call it "Thorny ivory". Can anyone help identify this beauty?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/cactus-Succule ... 2749.l2648
https://www.ebay.com/itm/cactus-Succule ... 2749.l2648
anttisepp

Re: Identify this cactus please

Post by anttisepp »

Looks like cultivar of Coryphantha elephantidens.
How did it pass the customs?
gggricardo

Post by gggricardo »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:28 am Looks like cultivar of Coryphantha elephantidens.
Thank you!
I think is luck more than anything else. The package wasn't even touched by US Customs. I was hoping for the worse (confiscate it or destroyed). I didn't even know the name, but I liked it and bought it.
gggricardo

Post by gggricardo »

gggricardo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:12 pm
anttisepp wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:28 am Looks like cultivar of Coryphantha elephantidens.
Thank you!
I think is luck more than anything else. The package wasn't even touched by US Customs. I was hoping for the worse (confiscate it or destroyed). I didn't even know the name, but I liked it and bought it.
Now that you gave me a hint of the species, I looked on the internet, it is a coryphanta elephantidens....., but what subspecies?
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I'm sorry, but you were hoping for the worst??? If you were hoping the plant would not arrive, why did you buy it?
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
nona

Post by nona »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:56 am I'm sorry, but you were hoping for the worst??? If you were hoping the plant would not arrive, why did you buy it?
I suspect he meant 'expecting the worst'. It's what I'm doing now - wondering why my airmail packet of seeds is taking so long to arrive. I did my 'due diligence' verifying the seeds were permitted in my country. But one never knows what excuse customs will give as to why they won't let it in. If they don't trust the sender for any reason, that's sufficient grounds for confiscation.
gggricardo

Post by gggricardo »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:56 am I'm sorry, but you were hoping for the worst??? If you were hoping the plant would not arrive, why did you buy it?
Well, literally yes, I was hoping for the worst, buying plants from international vendors on eBay is like a roulette. Many of us play the lottery and most of the time we win nothing or just a free ticket if we are lucky.
Lucy_V

Post by Lucy_V »

Like anttisepp mentioned, it is a nursery produced cultivar, NOT a subspecies of C. elephantidens. Subspecies usually assigned to wild plants that different from the original species by their location, by some morphological characteristics, etc. Cultivars from other hand, are artificially produced, mostly for commercial purposes, often with unusual and unnatural characteristics, which often makes them especially attractive to collectors. I think you can label your plant as Coryphantha elephantidens cv. thorny ivory
loyall

Post by loyall »

Please pay attention to what nona so kindly tried to tell you. In English, "expecting the worst" is nearly the opposite of "hoping for the worst." You really confused mikethecactusguy as well as me. Note the difference for future posting.