‘Monkeys tail’ -Hildewinthera colademononis, very expencive?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

‘Monkeys tail’ -Hildewinthera colademononis, very expencive?

Post by Mrs.Green »

For some time I have wanted a Hildewinthera colademononis ( or whatever is the correct name at the moment..) , I really like the look of the fuzzy ‘tails’ and the flowers looks very attractive too. So when I saw a few plants for sale here in Norway, I got excited! My excitement quickly vanished when I saw the price though.. 88 euro.. :shock: Is this plant really that expencive ‘normally’ or is this price very high? From the pic it seems to be 7-8 ‘tails’ in the pot.
DaveW

Re: ‘Monkeys tail’ -Hildewinthera colademononis, very expencive?

Post by DaveW »

Fairly common in the UK now. We usually scrounge a cutting from somebody who has it, though some raise it from seed. What is common in one country is often rare in another since CITES has stopped the interchange of material across borders so keeping prices down even for cultivated plants. I think Norway is a member of the EU single market so presumably you can find somebody in the EU to send you a cutting? Unfortunately the UK has now left so we are treated as a foreign country for sending or receiving plants from the EU.
C And D

Post by C And D »

If you are getting 7 to 8 tails in a pot it may be worth it.
Usually sold as a single tail 4 to 8 inches, and around 6 to ten dollars
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
teo

Post by teo »

Or you can buy seeds and sow. Google for 'hildewintera colademononis seeds'
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you very much DaveW, C and D and Teo :)

DaveW; Norway isn’t member of EU but EEA. Which difference this make regarding buying plants from abroad, I don’t know.

C and D; I am still tempted but buying a cactus to such a price.. I am afraid I would hardly dare to breathe around it, fearing it would die :P

Teo; I really don’t have the ideal conditions for sowing.
teo

Post by teo »

I only sow indoors under artificial (LED)lights
DSC_6782.JPG
DSC_6782.JPG (116.07 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hi Mrs Green,

I thought Norway participated in the EU single market so you may be able to get plants from the EU on the same terms as any EU member? Britain used to be able to get plants from the EU without requiring paperwork before we left, but we are now a "foreign" country outside the EU.

See:-

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/s ... id2507626/

As to growing from seed you only need a windowsill. Many of our members even with greenhouses start off their seeds in the warmth of the house earlier in the year on their windowsills, particularly using the plastic bag method as in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRprJos3G4
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

teo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 am I only sow indoors under artificial (LED)lights
DSC_6782.JPG
DaveW wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:21 am Hi Mrs Green,

I thought Norway participated in the EU single market so you may be able to get plants from the EU on the same terms as any EU member? Britain used to be able to get plants from the EU without requiring paperwork before we left, but we are now a "foreign" country outside the EU.

See:-

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/s ... id2507626/

As to growing from seed you only need a windowsill. Many of our members even with greenhouses start off their seeds in the warmth of the house earlier in the year on their windowsills, particularly using the plastic bag method as in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRprJos3G4
Thank you very much DaveW and Teo :) DaveW; You may be right about that, I haven’t really done any serious research on the topic. ( EU/ EEA)

About the indoor sowing part; I am not so sure about the ‘warmth of the house’ ..today it’s 12 degrees celsius outside and 17 degrees celsius indoors..and it’s summer here :D The windowsills I guess will be a place between those two temperatures.
teo

Post by teo »

The 2 LED-lights in the depicted setup are 2x50 W so there is (more than) enough heat :-)
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

teo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:57 am The 2 LED-lights in the depicted setup are 2x50 W so there is (more than) enough heat :-)
Thank you Teo :) I have no doubts that that the mentioned setup works, but one must have somewere to set this up too.. I am not sure the rest of the family would appreciate this on the diningtable or kitchentable.. :D
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Seems very expensive. Here in the UK I bought a pot with about 10 tails in, each about 12inches long for £48. They are imported from Italy to the UK.
Download

Post by Download »

They retail for <$10 here in Australia, but people buy up every one they can find and resell them on eBay and Facebook for $30+
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Hero878 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:44 pm Seems very expensive. Here in the UK I bought a pot with about 10 tails in, each about 12inches long for £48. They are imported from Italy to the UK.
Thank you Hero878 :) Yes, even though it was tempting, I didn’t buy one. Hopefully I will have another chance ro a more reasonable price.
Download wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:53 am They retail for <$10 here in Australia, but people buy up every one they can find and resell them on eBay and Facebook for $30+
Thank you Download :) Ah, nothing new then..there will always be someone willing to pay the asked price, regardless of how high it might be. Seeing cuttings of especially some of the variegated Monsteras sold for crazy prices , I am not surpriced anymore.

But back to the plant itself; how soon do they develop the long ‘fur’? I have seen some sold as H.colademononis but I didn’t recognize them from the pics. No signs of long ‘fur’ on these and I would guess that each stem was at least 10-15 centimeters long. More interestingly, I could see a small bit of the original cuttings ( from which the new stems grew from) and I couldn’t see much ‘fur ‘ on these either.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Download wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:53 am They retail for <$10 here in Australia, but people buy up every one they can find and resell them on eBay and Facebook for $30+
I just went down to Collectors Corner in Melbourne today to have a bit of a look around. They are selling calodemonosis in 4 inch pots (they looked like seedlings) for about that price. But they had a couple of large specimens in baskets (a good size but not that big) for $500! They were different to my clones though. Extremely hairy with golden hair on the older part and pure silver/white on the growing point. Those hairs at the tip were incredible growing down maybe 4 inches past the end of the stem. Very beautiful clone and I don't think the seedlings were the same type.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hi Mrs Green.

I was given one from seed and it did not really develop much hair until about 10 inches long. However with cuttings from hairy stems I did not really notice any difference in new stems, but as you say some new stems may revert to their juvenile state until long enough again to produce copious hair.

As you say Mike in some pictures H. colademononis look a bit golden as stems age. Whether this is normal, another clone that has been collected, or a selected cultivar I do not know? Maybe even a cross with H. aureispina?

By the way if you put it in Cleistocactus the legitimate name is Cleistocactus winteri ssp. colademono (not colademononis) since David Hunt "corrected" the spelling on transfer, claiming the original spelling was not the correct Latin termination or something similar. There are always arguments under the "Rules" regarding correcting spelling mistakes. These can be corrected by later authors if the original author unintentionally got it wrong, but should stand if the original author knew that but intended it spelt that way. Because how a botanical name is made up is the original authors personal choice since the name is merely a handle for identification.