Aleo

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Mark

Aleo

Post by Mark »

I recently got a repoted aleo and the tips are turning a brownish color. They have have a day of sun and shade. I was wondering if there was anything i could do?
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mark,

You'll need to give us more to go on. A picture would be perfect. Presume you have an aloe. There are more than 430 recognized species plus more than that number of hybrids made by man of aloes. Many have different growing requirements.
Buck Hemenway
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi Mark,

Aloes (but also some other succulent plants) have a special way of showing the stress - they turn brown as a result of extended periods of draught or excessive sun / heat exposure.

Repotting is also a source of stress.

It could be nothing more than this and the aloe will recover. Try to keep it in a shaded position a couple of weeks after repotting, it might help. It could be also something else. As Buck said - a picture would be good.

Cheers,

Eduart
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mark,

Yes, I agree with both Eduart and Buck, a photograph would help, but as both have said there are various things that can cause this. Certainly in Haworthias they will show their displeasure of being too dry or too hot by the tips of the leaves turning brown. This is why an unmarked specimen is what is being looked for by show judges.

If you are not intending to show the plant I would not worry about it too much, in this type of plant new leaves will eventually take the place of the old ones. However if the tips of the new leaves turn brown too, you do have a problem and will need to get back to us.

Still send a photograph if you can, this will help to confirm or otherwise your problem.

John
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well i wish i could post some pictures but I can't.