Gymnocalycium baldianum? anisitsii?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
loyall

Re: Gymnocalycium baldianum? anisitsii?

Post by loyall »

G anisitsii_20220410_13.jpg
G anisitsii_20220410_13.jpg (80.77 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Beautiful.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Lupask01

Post by Lupask01 »

Will they produce fruits, and seeds in the future? Please update?
I think that this period of the year (March to May) is the bloom time, Am I correct? Lots of picture these day. Most of them are Gymno flower. In fact, all 6 of my Gymno give their flower buds this year.
p/s: last year there was a heavy drought summer, no rain for at least 4 months. As a result, no flower.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Shortly after the blossoms went by, the anisitsii flower stems just dropped off. Is that normal? Does it mean the flowers were not fertilized? I have a Parodia erubescens and a Parodia ottonis whose dried-up flower stems just hang on. Does that mean that those two self-fertilized? Being a windowsill grower I have no interest in growing from seed. I'm just curious.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Those Parodias are self-fertile, Gymnocalycium anisitsii isn't. Also, the dead flowers tend to cling to the Parodias if they fail to pollinate.

I used to have one just like yours, and it produced no fruits either. Mine was sold under the synonym G. damsii - sadly, it was destroyed by a slug, the weak spines give little protection.
Spence :mrgreen:
loyall

Post by loyall »

Gracias, merci, danke.
loyall

Post by loyall »

I bought this my first gymno at the local garden center on Feb 22 mainly because it had four tiny pink dots on the top. It was only $3.99 for a 2½ inch pot, and I hoped for blossoms. So far I have had five blossoms of which one remains, but I see six more pink dots😁. Am I a great cacti grower,😎 or is this species just really easy to grow and free flowering as I think someone described it?😉 Anyway I feel as if I lucked out.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They're very eager to bloom, always have flowers or buds on them.

I bought mine from an Ebay seller in California (one who posted on this forum, so I knew he was knowledgeable). Ordered it in November so it would be entering dormancy, but would ship before very cold weather - shipping up the west coast, that was a safe bet. It shipped bare root, a little cactus less then 2" in diameter - with flower buds on it. I potted it up and waited to spring to water it - as soon as the weather warmed those buds developed into flowers.

It bloomed repeatedly over the summer, had more buds forming when it went into dormancy - they just stopped growing then, and bloomed the next spring. You may be a great cactus grower, I can't tell - but this species blooms whenever it's warm enough for it to grow.
Spence :mrgreen:
loyall

Post by loyall »

My anisitsii has another round of blossoms. And four more small buds underneath these five. Sweet.
G anisitsii_20220620_02.jpg
G anisitsii_20220620_02.jpg (83.99 KiB) Viewed 819 times
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Spectacular blooms.