Help please!

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Blakes

Help please!

Post by Blakes »

Hi all! I have just found this forum and I have so much to ask and learn! My initial question is: I planted some cactus seeds at around April this year, I now have around 50 seedlings growing! This is the first time I have tried to raise cacti from seed and now that winter is upon us I am not to sure whether to water them or not. Most of the seedlings are from a packet of 'mixture', so I dont have a clue what they are, they all seem to be doing good at present. So Guys, your advice is more than welcome!! Many thanks, Marc
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This definately is an area for John. He has lots of instruction on watering and he's from the island too.

Welcome to the forum!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Blakes

Post by Blakes »

Cheers, I really could do with some advice on this rather quickly. I have not watered them for at least two weeks now. If my Melocactus Matanzanus seedlings die off I will cry!
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi,

There are two trains of thought, one is that you allow the seedling to rest through the winter with just a little water to stop them drying up completely. The second one and the one I would go for is to keep them growing through the winter of their first year.

However to do this you would need to keep them in a warm atmosphere, at least around the 60f mark and a little more if you can and give them as much light as possible. The problem with growing through the winter in England are the short days, hence as much light as possible during the day is vital.

A good thing to have is a product called Cheshunt. This comes as a powder in a tin and can be bought at any garden centre. Follow the instructions and rather than watering the soil I would spray the seedlings with this product mixed with the correct amount of water. The water will turn blue but do not worry about that. It is an anti-fungus compound and will stop the seedlings damping off (collapsing).

Now to the important part. You mentioned you had some Melocactus matanzanus seedlings. All Melocactus need warmth throughout the year, at least 60f and out of all the Melocactus species matanzanus needs the most warmth and is probably the most difficult one to keep, as I know to my cost. These you should definitely try to keep growing and be extra careful with the watering. A centrally heated room is about the right temperature for these babies.

John
Blakes

Post by Blakes »

Thanks John. All my seedlings are kept on the windowsill of a west facing, centrally heated room. I did originally provide them with a bit of shade by blue-tacking some sheets of A4 to the window, but they are now fully exposed to the sun and don't seem to mind (although some do tend to lean towards the window). I have some stuff called 'Chinosol' which I bought from a cactus nursery, this stuff is a fungicide which stops things damping off (I think!). Ever heard of it? As a general rule for most cacti, are you not supposed to water them at all during winter? It's supprising that I have had cacti for 13 or so years and don't really know a great deal about them! It is only now that I am trying to learn all the correct methods for caring for them. Thanks, Blakes
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Marc,

Yes, I have heard of Chinosol, but have never used it.

Regarding watering of cacti in winter. In England if you are going to rest your cacti a good average temperature is about 45f. At this temperature virtually all cacti and most of the succulents can be kept dry. If they are wet at this temperature they will rot. In virtually all cases of rot it is not the cold that kills the plant, but moisture at the roots.

If for whatever reason the plants have to be kept in a warm environment, central heating etc. a little water will need to be given from time to time but certainly not as much as in the summer months, and give them as much light as possible. The aim is to keep them ticking over without them starting to grow away.

Hope this makes sense to you.

John