Echinopsis huascha 'Grandiflora' Infection or Burn?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
gwinkels

Echinopsis huascha 'Grandiflora' Infection or Burn?

Post by gwinkels »

Hey all,

I have an Echinopsis huascha 'Grandiflora' that I have had since 2018, and it has survived a lot; a freeze down to 10F for a couple of days when my circuit breaker to my greenhouse tripped while on vacation in the middle of the winter 2020-2021, and the entirety of last winter in my dark basement as I moved houses. Unfortunately, it seems that it has some sort of infection, burn, or other disease that it is slowly succumbing to. I would love some help figuring out what is wrong.

There is a brown section that has been slowly moving up my cactus, and it has covered almost 3/4 of the cactus now. The first picture I see it in is dated 04-23-2021 (included in an attached picture) which would be after the freeze it survived. It is not soft and mushy like I would have expected, but is almost hard and papery. There is a little section at the base that still has some green on it (included in an attached picture), but I like the flowers on this cactus a lot and definitely want to save it. Should I be chopping off the top and letting it callus before replanting it, or is there a less drastic way to save this cactus? Let me know if you have any advice!
Attachments
One side of the base
One side of the base
IMG-3188.jpg (159.93 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Close up of top
Close up of top
IMG-3184.jpg (148.14 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
One side of the base with remaining green section
One side of the base with remaining green section
IMG-3187.jpg (167.71 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Full cactus
Full cactus