A big Hello from Scotland, UK.

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
PlantCrazy

A big Hello from Scotland, UK.

Post by PlantCrazy »

Hello Everybody,

I'm really excited to be here, because I'm really getting into Cacti & Succulents and any help or information that I get would be really, really welcome.
I've been looking through a lot of the posts while I was waiting for my confirmation, and I've realised that I have a lot to learn.
I also don't know much of the terminology, so be patient with me!
Once I learn how to do the picture resize thing, I intend to post some pictures for identification. I have a wee plant nursery and I want to eventually start selling and displaying Cacti & Succulents, so learning what they are and what they need is very important to me.

I can identify only a few, and they are probably the most common ones! But I would love to be more knowledgeable, hopefully with all your help!?

Thanks for reading this.
gemhunter178

Re: A big Hello from Scotland, UK.

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!

If it helps and if you didn't see it already (and if you want an excuse to look at some plants) we do have a big thread of commonly seen cacti and succulents with id's https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39213
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

gemhunter178 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:19 am Welcome!

If it helps and if you didn't see it already (and if you want an excuse to look at some plants) we do have a big thread of commonly seen cacti and succulents with id's https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39213
Thank you gemhunter.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Welcome
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:16 pm Welcome
Thank you Jerry.
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

Hello again ☺

I thought I'd write this here rather than messing up the forum with posts in the wrong place. I've spent the last few weeks looking at a lot of various topics, sometimes going to the very first posts and working backwards. Most of them were very interesting, but I have a way to go yet! I did that 'Cacti or not' quiz, (feeling totally confident), after reading all about the differences, and failed dismally!

I went to a local car boot sale, and one boot had a large cacti for sale. It was wedged between two steel poles and had lots of dried up 'things' (maybe old flowers?) sticking out from the body, so I took them off and did a soil wash that I've been reading about, re-potted it, and waited 8 days before I watered it.
Today I watered it for the first time this morning, and when I got back 6hrs later, this had happened?! 👇

P.S. I'm also using this as a tester for the picture resize thing! If it works here, it will work in the identification forum! 😁

No! This is not going to work, I don't know how to print a photo here!? I don't know what to do?!
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

gemhunter178 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:19 am Welcome!

That post has been one of my favourites so far. I copied it all! 😊 Unfortunately my copies don't zoom in very well and it goes all blurry, but I'm getting the gist of the matter slowly but surely.

Euphorbias seem to be the ones that are messing around with my head a bit because some of them 'look' like Cacti but they don't have the areoles, (sp?) and even if they do they don't? 😳