Heat waves ?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
7george

Heat waves ?

Post by 7george »

How do you people cope with summer heat? Looks like my cacti is doing better then me.
The forecast is not showing any cool days soon...
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/c ... ALBERTA254
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
jerrytheplater

Re: Heat waves ?

Post by jerrytheplater »

We've been having similar night temps as you. Last night was in the high 50's. Days are low 80's. No rain for at least a week to come. I've been using the hose on my plants about 2x per week. They are in a mineral based mix with maybe 10% organic content as coarse peat moss. I will not fertilize any more this season. My plants look good, especially my winter hardy cacti.

My 3 year old grand daughter fell backwards and sat on my Madagascar Euphorbia collection. She cut off a branch from my Euphorbias. I'll post back with photos I just took. Have to process them first.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Here is my Euphorbia ambovombensis which my 3 yr old granddaughter sat on top of as she lost her balance. The pot on the right contains the cutting she broke off.
rsz 2022-8-15 E. ambovombensis.jpg
rsz 2022-8-15 E. ambovombensis.jpg (149.06 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Here is the whole Madagascar Euphorbia collection sitting out on my back deck in an eastern exposure. Full sun on till about 1 PM now. Might still be a little too much. This is the box my granddaughter sat down in by accident. Right on top of my E. ambovombensis.
rsz 2022-8-15 Madagascar Euphorbia collection.jpg
rsz 2022-8-15 Madagascar Euphorbia collection.jpg (214.46 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
Last edited by jerrytheplater on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
7george

Post by 7george »

At least nights are getting cooler and days are shorter now. We will get use to the heat ... and the summer will end up suddenly.

Scattered showers and thunderstorms next week. Means these will miss our neighborhood. 8)
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I looked at your weather report, not really that extreme. The only concern might be plants in dark-colored pots where the sun is hitting the sides of the pot, you don't want to cook the roots. When temperatures get extremely hot I move the cacti to where they get only morning sun, but you're not quite that hot.
Spence :mrgreen:
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Stay indoors with the A/C on :lol: Do gardening (or pretty much anything that requires being outdoors...) early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Summer has actually been pretty mild for me...if mid 90s (mid to high 30s C) can be counted as mild. :) At the very least, so far no days approaching or exceeding 110F/43C (yet!) No rain here until December, if it rains at all...seems like we have record-breaking droughts every couple years or so.
7george

Post by 7george »

greenknight wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:24 am I looked at your weather report, not really that extreme. ...
I'm saying the same: cacti do better then me. Most are thriving.
I also found a solution: staying in the basement, watermelons and cold beer at max... :cheers:
House-grown cacti don't like AC. [-X
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8