talk: Cactaceae extinction risk under climate change

Post links, info, news, etc. regarding local and national cactus clubs and societies
mmcavall

talk: Cactaceae extinction risk under climate change

Post by mmcavall »

The text below is an invitation I have received, I'm not from this organization:

Dear community,

it is with great pleasure that we announce our second cycle of the Cactaceae webinars. We have been working hard during our break to line up an exciting list of speakers and we already have our engines started!

Our first speaker will be Michiel Pillet, from The University of Arizona, who will present his most recent work on modeling "Cactaceae extinction risk under climate change". Here's a brief description of the talk directly from our speaker:

"Many of the threats affecting cacti have a clearly visible impact. Poaching and habitat destruction directly kill plants. The effects of climate change are often more subtle and difficult to disentangle from other stressors. Unfortunately, this does not mean climate change is a minor threat to cacti. I'll be sharing uncomfortable results from a large-scale study across Cactaceae assessing the potential impacts of climate change"

We'll be happy to see you back again at our webinars,

save the date!

🗓️ Thursday, September 29

🕓 16:00 UTC

🔗 In this zoom link

https://ufl.zoom.us/j/95066313476?pwd=Q ... FTeG96UT09

Please find attached our flyer for the event, and feel free to share this invitation with everyone interested!

Check also our time-zone table below:

🇺🇸 09:00 h - Phoenix AZ

🇲🇽🇵🇪 11:00 h - México City / Lima, Perú

🇧🇷🇦🇷 13:00 h - Sao Paolo / Córdoba Arg

🇬🇧 17:00 h - London, UK

🇩🇪🇨🇭 18:00 h - Berlin / Zurich

See you there!
Pd1973

Re: talk: Cactaceae extinction risk under climate change

Post by Pd1973 »

Very interesting topic. I'm looking forward to the event. There is a very interesting lecture on that topic that I found on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZlO6-3UzD4&t=31s
The climate is constantly changing, but anthropogenic influences in modern times only accelerate the changes.