Not A Saguaro?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
dhsmusic

Not A Saguaro?

Post by dhsmusic »

I bought this back in 2004 in Tucson. It was sold as a "saguaro," but as I look at pictures of saguaros, this doesn't seem to match. I think it is likely a different cactus species. Can anyone ID this guy?

BTW, it consisted of the lower segment for nearly 11 years without a single sign of growth. Then one year it started sprouting the top section, which has grown steadily ever since. The entire plant is now around 24" tall.

Anyway, any help ID-ing this would be most appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_3914.JPG
IMG_3914.JPG (81.47 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
IMG_3913.JPG
IMG_3913.JPG (108.03 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
IMG_3907.JPG
IMG_3907.JPG (128.1 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
IMG_3910.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG (157 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
David - Seattle, WA
Lefty

Re: Not A Saguaro?

Post by Lefty »

Bottom section looks like saguaro. Compare its spines with this:
https://www.pics4learning.com/details.p ... spines.jpg
7george

Post by 7george »

Away from its native habitat a cactus may look quite different. How many hours of sunshine it gets dayly?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Agreed with George concerning to sunshine. Looks like it hasn't enouph sun. Bottom is a real carnegia but upper part reminds trichocereus or neobuxbaumia )) . I think the key is in the sun.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not very well up on the larger Cerei since they take up too much room in UK greenhouses and we are unlikely to see them flower so not many grow them, but could it be the Saguaro equivalent Pachycereus?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Very strange looking indeed. Bottom is definitely a saguaro. Like others have said, perhaps sun and habitat.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

A Seattle summer is like winter in Tuscon, it must have been confused.
Spence :mrgreen:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

DaveW wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:01 am Not very well up on the larger Cerei since they take up too much room in UK greenhouses and we are unlikely to see them flower so not many grow them, but could it be the Saguaro equivalent Pachycereus?
P.pringlei and saguaro are noticeably different up close. Spines too. Areole fuzz on the former tend to join up (at least at this size):
https://apps.cals.arizona.edu/arboretum ... aspx?id=28

My first reaction on seeing the OP's pic was that it was a graft :P
dhsmusic

Post by dhsmusic »

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in. Wow, sounds like I have a genuine Frankenstein cactus!

More info: It has spent the past 11 years here in Seattle, which as was noted, has a smidge different climate than its native Tucson. It spends about 6 months each year (late Spring-early Fall) outside, where it gets full sun. The rest of the year when it is dropping into the 30's and below at night, it comes indoors. It doesn't get a lot of direct sun during those months, and kind of hibernates. It still grows during this time, but more slowly.

If it gets much bigger I will have trouble continuing to care for it in this fashion. I would consider selling it to a local cactus enthusiast with greater ability to give it the love and care it deserves.
David - Seattle, WA
7george

Post by 7george »

Looks like a real graft over that saguaro... if not the its owner vows. :) But the conditions are important. I have many cacti that change spines and overall look just from using different soil and moving those to a different shelf or windowsill.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I know I'm a little late to this party, but both sections look like saguaro to me. It makes total sense that the softer look is the result of less intense sun exposure. I have some plants growing in shadier spots that more resemble the top growth. Did the top get damaged at some point after you left Arizona? The good news is it that it does not look etiolated.
dhsmusic

Post by dhsmusic »

tumamoc wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:16 pm I know I'm a little late to this party, but both sections look like saguaro to me. It makes total sense that the softer look is the result of less intense sun exposure. I have some plants growing in shadier spots that more resemble the top growth. Did the top get damaged at some point after you left Arizona? The good news is it that it does not look etiolated.
As far as I know it has never been damaged. In fact, it literally showed no growth or changes whatsoever in the first 11 years. I always thought it was a little funny that way. It seemed in fine health, just in no hurry to do anything. Once it started sprouting the top section though it never looked back.
David - Seattle, WA
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Could the base also be a top cut off a more established plant that has been cut off and rooted down? Hence a top cut with mature spination often continues growth with juvenile weaker spination when it resumes growth. It is always difficult with top cuts to manage to "blur" the old growth into the new, so the transition is virtually undetectable. Usually instituting new growth very slowly so it is harder helps.
dhsmusic

Post by dhsmusic »

DaveW wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:27 am Could the base also be a top cut off a more established plant that has been cut off and rooted down? Hence a top cut with mature spination often continues growth with juvenile weaker spination when it resumes growth. It is always difficult with top cuts to manage to "blur" the old growth into the new, so the transition is virtually undetectable. Usually instituting new growth very slowly so it is harder helps.
That's an interesting thought. I bought it from Tanque Verde Greenhouse way back in 2004. They had many for sale, perhaps that's how they cultivated them to sell.
David - Seattle, WA
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Saguaros cuttings are difficult to root, while the species is easily grown from seed, so cuttings are rarely seen.
Spence :mrgreen: