Help me Identify the issue with my sand rose

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
pgmassa

Help me Identify the issue with my sand rose

Post by pgmassa »

All,

Thanks for checking in… I have this sand rose I just got and it is looking a bit shriveled and started flopping over. I have only watered it about 2 times since I got it in a month or so. It may be etiolated but that’s how I got it and I have it in as much sun as I can give.

Any thoughts on why it’s shriveling and flopping over?

Thank you again!
Attachments
Whole plant
Whole plant
C471A0D6-69CE-4330-AFB3-DFCD400E2938.jpeg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Leaf shot
Leaf shot
1EEA8692-B33B-48E0-BB44-CBEBA27E2DFC.jpeg (65.61 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
bbarv

Re: Help me Identify the issue with my sand rose

Post by bbarv »

Your plant is Anacampseros, probably rufenses, hard to tell because of etiolation.
Advice would depend on you climate/location, growing zone
pgmassa

Post by pgmassa »

I see! I live in northern Virginia (hardiness zone 6 to 8). I don’t think I could have it outside on the next months. I have it in a large south facing window however. Temperature there gets as low as 14 C but it’s the most sun light in the house.

Does that info help?

Thank you!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Was it already stretched out like that when you got it?

Did you free the roots from the old potting mix (assuming you re-potted it)? If the roots are balled up in a clump of mix that's different from the rest of the pot, it may not be getting any water at all. See: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =25&t=9222

Dig it out and check the roots, in any case.

A large south-facing window should be enough light, if it's close to the window. Cool temperatures are not a problem, these can even stand light frost.
Spence :mrgreen:
pgmassa

Post by pgmassa »

Yeah, it was already long when I got it…

That could very well be it, I think I was over delicate with the roots.

Thank you!

greenknight wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:39 am Was it already stretched out like that when you got it?

Did you free the roots from the old potting mix (assuming you re-potted it)? If the roots are balled up in a clump of mix that's different from the rest of the pot, it may not be getting any water at all. See: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =25&t=9222

Dig it out and check the roots, in any case.

A large south-facing window should be enough light, if it's close to the window. Cool temperatures are not a problem, these can even stand light frost.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Don't worry about losing a few roots, fine roots will regrow quickly. Remove all the old mix from around the roots and pot it up in a small pot, then wait a week before watering it to give the roots time to heal. You can mist it during this time to reduce moisture loss, but it's really not necessary - it's far from being dehydrated.

It appears to be in a large planter now, are there other succulents in there with it? That would be ok, these are good in combination plantings. Once you get it perked up you could put it back there, but get it established in the new mix first. Eventually you should cut off that elongated top - you could grow that as a cutting if you like, and have another plant. Actually, each leaf can produce a new plant, but a larger cutting will make a full-size plant sooner.
Spence :mrgreen:
pgmassa

Post by pgmassa »

Yeah, is it in a large planter because that was a solution I found to place it in the sunniest part of the house and out of reach from my dogs…

Thanks for the advice! I will give it a try.
greenknight wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:39 am Don't worry about losing a few roots, fine roots will regrow quickly. Remove all the old mix from around the roots and pot it up in a small pot, then wait a week before watering it to give the roots time to heal. You can mist it during this time to reduce moisture loss, but it's really not necessary - it's far from being dehydrated.

It appears to be in a large planter now, are there other succulents in there with it? That would be ok, these are good in combination plantings. Once you get it perked up you could put it back there, but get it established in the new mix first. Eventually you should cut off that elongated top - you could grow that as a cutting if you like, and have another plant. Actually, each leaf can produce a new plant, but a larger cutting will make a full-size plant sooner.