Cleistocactus colademononis X tupizensis hybrid?

Create seed of your own
Download

Cleistocactus colademononis X tupizensis hybrid?

Post by Download »

I have a C tupizensis with quite a strong red/silver colouration. I took a picture, but the image doesn't really do it much justice. I swear it's nicer in real life:

A few weeks ago, it occurred to me how nice C colademononis would be with that colouration, and I now I'm wondering what it would take to hybridise the two. I really have no idea how much work it would be. I imagine that I would need a few generations, but I don't know how many it would take. I suspect generation lengths could be cut down via grafting, but it's probably still a decade long project?

I also suspect that I need more genetic variety; I have three C colademononis and can easily get more, but only one C tupizensis. I've also never seen C tupizensis with the same strong colouration; every other example I've seen for sale is more brown than red. Perhaps not a problem if I add them in later on and weed out the more brown ones?

The goal would be to create a hybrid that has the same hanging form as C colademononis, but with the red/dark silver colouration.

Thoughts?