Notocactus uebelmannianus?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
geotrox

Notocactus uebelmannianus?

Post by geotrox »

Can anyone confirm my id of this cactus? I have it down as Notocactus uebmannianus.
As always... much appreciated!
Cheers,
Geotrox
Attachments
IMG_3476.jpg
IMG_3476.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 943 times
IMG_3475.jpg
IMG_3475.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 943 times
George Keeney
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Zone 6
greenknight

Re: Notocactus uebelmannianus?

Post by greenknight »

I agree - Notocactus uebelmannianus (syn. Parodia werneri).
Spence :mrgreen:
geotrox

Post by geotrox »

Thanks very much Spence! As always... much appreciated!
Cheers,
George
George Keeney
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Zone 6
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There is a yellow flowered form too = N. uebelmannianus v. flaviflorus, which is seldom grown since nurserymen no longer seem to propagate it because the purple flowered one sells better.

When first introduced from the Horst-Uebelmann Expedition there were three species of what were dubbed at the time the "Gymnocalycioide Notocacti" since their bodies looked rather like Gymnocalycium's out of flower. The yellow flowered form of N. uebelmannianus is seldom found now in collections as nurserymen only tend to propagate the more saleable purple flowered one. Also, the other similar species were all lumped under uebelmannianus when it was transferred to Parodia as P. werneri, the name change required because a Parodia uebelmannianus already existed so had priority of that name.

See:-

viewtopic.php?p=351341&hilit=Notocactus ... us#p351341
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

DaveW wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:13 pm There is a yellow flowered form too = N. uebelmannianus v. flaviflorus, which is seldom grown since nurserymen no longer seem to propagate it because the purple flowered one sells better.
By chance I purchased a tiny seedling a few years ago, supposedly yellow flowering. I knew nothing about the purple/yellow issue. While it hasn't yet flowered, perhaps the size is now right (5 cm).
PC040011 (Custom).JPG
PC040011 (Custom).JPG (80.32 KiB) Viewed 606 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, it's a pity when certain plants common at first in collections gradually die out in the trade.

Gymnocalycium horstii is a similar example where the pink form = originally ssp. buneckeri or G. buneckeri is now usually just sold as G. hostii and the original type form, the white flowered G. horstii, is hard to find. When supposedly new species get "lumped" they do tend to die out and only the most attractive form under that name commercially propagated.

See my post here for the difference.

viewtopic.php?p=348317&hilit=Gymnocalyc ... ri#p348317