Lithops seedling acclimation

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Conophytum

Lithops seedling acclimation

Post by Conophytum »

I recently got a shipment of planted lithops seedling to my address. I live in newport beach while the guy i recieved it from is from west hill (several miles apart). How long should I leave it in the dark? I don't want to stunt the growth of the seedlings.
mesembs are cool
jerrytheplater

Re: Lithops seedling acclimation

Post by jerrytheplater »

I don't understand why you'd want to leave it in the dark. I can see slowly getting them acclimated to light after being in the dark during shipping, but how long were they in the box? A few days at most? Then I would not spend a long time in acclimation, a few days at most.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Conophytum

Post by Conophytum »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:50 pm I don't understand why you'd want to leave it in the dark. I can see slowly getting them acclimated to light after being in the dark during shipping, but how long were they in the box? A few days at most? Then I would not spend a long time in acclimation, a few days at most.
Do you think acclimation is necessary at all? It's my first time recieving seedlings
mesembs are cool
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I wouldn't worry about acclimatization.
Spence :mrgreen:
kwesiobruni

Post by kwesiobruni »

Conophytum wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:50 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:50 pm I don't understand why you'd want to leave it in the dark. I can see slowly getting them acclimated to light after being in the dark during shipping, but how long were they in the box? A few days at most? Then I would not spend a long time in acclimation, a few days at most.
Do you think acclimation is necessary at all? It's my first time recieving seedlings
When I receive plants in the mail I plant them up and put them in a spot in the greenhouse where it doesn't get direct sun but is still plenty bright. I leave them there for a few days and then put them where they go. I have never had a problem.