Hylocereus notes

All posts relating to the CactiGuide.com Big Picture Project
leland

Hylocereus notes

Post by leland »

The attached picture is of H. costaricense roots growing on a tree. Most of the stems are in the higher reaches of the tree where they must be getting the desired combination of sun and shade. In nature this species can be seen in trees, on rocks, and in this form called hemiepiphytic. Typically hemiepiphytic plants start out as seeds on branches and with time send down roots to the ground. Those with roots in the ground make much more vigorous growth. I also have hylocereus with roots running down a masonry wall to find soil and water. Plantings are over 10 years old.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
anttisepp

Re: Hylocereus notes

Post by anttisepp »

Oh it can be very huge! I saw one in the castle of Tavira in Alragve, whole old castle inner wall was covered with one huge large Hylocereus!
7george

Post by 7george »

Huge plants!
Can we see a picture with a close up of stems and spines? I have some seedlings that might belong to this species even these probably change with age.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
leland

Post by leland »

These photos are not real clear but may help. Generally this species has 4 spines with bulbous bases but there is a lot of variability. Stems can be green or grey.
Last edited by leland on Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leland

Bird damage

Post by leland »

It is interesting how the birds eat pitaya fruit. They peck a hole in the skin and then peck out the seeds and pulp.
IMG_0001_3.jpg
IMG_0001_3.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 7214 times
leland

Re: Hylocereus notes, H escuintlensis

Post by leland »

This is growing high in a tree in my backyard. Listed in the lit as native to Guatemala, I found my original cutting not far from the house in dryforest with a footnote that mine have magenta pulp instead of the white pulp listed in the literature. Note the variability in the stems on this foto.

I originally planted this on my back wall and I suspect birds dropped seeds high in this tree. I am continually finding hylocereus seedlings in potted plants.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 7009 times
leland

Post by leland »

I was in Alejuela recently on the way to the San Jose airport and took the time to visit the wildlife rehabilitation organization usually know as Zoo Ave (the Bird Zoo). They don't have much in the way of cactus but I spotted what appears to be a hylocereus. The red markings on the buds really stood out and its too bad I wasn't around to see them flower. Hylocereus stenopterus is one possibility and it is a Costa Rican native.
IMG_0351r_1.jpg
IMG_0351r_1.jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
IMG_0355_1.jpg
IMG_0355_1.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Gorgeous plant and exquisite buds <3
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
leland

Re: Hylocereus nomenclature

Post by leland »

I had heard of some name changes but didn't get the details until I posted some pictures on !Naturalist which is using the new names for the Hylocereus but apparently not the Weberocereus. Kew is listing some of the new names as synonyms. Of course, hobbyists and nurserymen will still probably use the old names for a decade or two because it is hard to keep up with the new research.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... the_genera

http://plantsoftheworldonline.org/?q=Selenicereus
leland

Post by leland »

I have noticed some Hylocereus plants in my yard that looked different and one day they last week they were flowering so I decided to document them and give them my number 082.
They were growing on a low rock wall. I asked the woman who sold us the property what they were and she dismissed them as some type of wild pitaya. I later planted some cuttings on a jocote tree where they are growing much better. The main difference is the stem margins as they are different from any others I can think of. Because they were probably planted on a low wall there is no guarantee they are a native species. Hylocereus are commonly grown for the fruit so plants/seeds can be transported long distances. I will follow up on these with a spine count and fruit fotos.
IMG_0001_1.jpg
IMG_0001_1.jpg (30.26 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
IMG_0002_1.jpg
IMG_0002_1.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
IMG_0003_1.jpg
IMG_0003_1.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
leland

Post by leland »

An interesting way to grow pitaya fruit. Lava rocks, probably pulled from the same field, were stacked up and Hylocereus planted on top. It would make the plants more controllable and keep them out of the mud and weeds in the rainy season. Also a good way to make use of the rocks.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (120.44 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Cactus cairns! I like it.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

leland wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:40 pm An interesting way to grow pitaya fruit. Lava rocks, probably pulled from the same field, were stacked up and Hylocereus planted on top. It would make the plants more controllable and keep them out of the mud and weeds in the rainy season. Also a good way to make use of the rocks.

IMG_0001.jpg
Where was this picure taken? Something like a pitaya farm?
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
leland

Post by leland »

This was at a restaurant on the Pan American highway north of Esteli, Nicaragua. Next to this property is one with similar rock piles that is probably used to graze cattle amongst the pitayas.