Aloidendron dichotomum losing leaves

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
pokie

Aloidendron dichotomum losing leaves

Post by pokie »

I have a large A. dichotomum grown indoors in a sun room. It's been losing leaves unusually fast over the last month or so. They shrivel up at the base while the leaf body is still healthy. I removed 20 or so. I spotted a few mealybugs a few weeks before, but not since. I have been spraying the leaves with Safer brand anti-insect soap.

Growing conditions include southern windows, skylights and a large 300 W grow light about 3 feet above the plant. I installed the grow light a few weeks before it started showing problems. I thought for a moment it might be cooking the plant, but the temperature is fine and I would expect more even shriveling. There is a small fan in the room to aid with air flow. Humidity around 50%. I am located in the NW of the US.

A couple of images of the plant and one of the ailing leaves close up: https://imgur.com/a/n5WJ6RS

Any advice would be appreciated.
FredBW

Re: Aloidendron dichotomum losing leaves

Post by FredBW »

Those white specs on the stem looks like you still have mealies to me. I have a couple tropical Yuccas that look similar to that plant. Mealies liked the undersides of leaves. But they seemed to like the stem even better.
pokie

Post by pokie »

By the tip of my finger? That's light reflecting off the soap I just sprinkled on it. It's difficult to take a good photo when the light is so bright. I will take some more tomorrow when the sun is out.
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

I sort of thought the same as I looked at the photos--tiny white flecks. As I looked at both photos, I also had to wonder if there's moisture associated with the basal leaf attachment points--the leaves look as though they are rotting from the base. Could it be too moist, resulting in a fungal rot? I understand that the soil needs to be very well-draining, sand/mineral based with loam and/or bone meal to maintain active growth. Have you tried a fungicide added to the treatment for the mealies? The native climate for these is also arid--spraying and misting could compound some of the issues, I would surmise.

It's painful when plants dear to us are afflicted. Keep us posted, and best wishes.
pokie

Post by pokie »

The leaves are extremely dry except for the times when I spray them with the soap. I happened to take the photo just after spraying them - excuse my foolish decision. I will take new photos later today. I am not aware of any indoors safe fungicide I could spray the plant with. I would expect fungus to be accompanied by rot (correct me if I am wrong), but this is more like desiccation.

Some folks on another board suggested this could be sunburn damaged from the soap residue and thought I should try an alcohol spray instead. I will give that a shot.

Thanks for the well wishes!
pokie

Post by pokie »

I took more photos when the plant hasn't just been sprayed with soap. First photo is the same leaf, and then there is a batch of dead or dying leaves i removed that to me don't seem to exhibit any signs of pests

https://imgur.com/a/8Zcvmc6
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

pokie wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:29 pm I took more photos when the plant hasn't just been sprayed with soap. First photo is the same leaf, and then there is a batch of dead or dying leaves i removed that to me don't seem to exhibit any signs of pests

https://imgur.com/a/8Zcvmc6
Hi--

Again, just guessing, and some things stand out. The underside of the leaf has pink/orange/brown pustular lesions that I still wonder about fungus, and the leaf scars have some slight white powdery looking points. A quick search of "signs, fungal infection of succulents" brought up these points.

[/i]( Signs & symptoms)

The overall look of the plant is wet and wilting ...
Bottom leaves are starting to fall off just by touching ...
Leaf edges are turning brown or yellow ...
Leaves are feeling mushy and swollen ...
If the plant is having a lot of fungal issues recently and attracting many bugs or other pests ...[/i]

I am working with a systemic fungicide while germinating and fostering ariocarpus through the first year called Daconil. Chemicals are generally not the means that I like, but the project has been successful, and so important to me that I won't risk circumstances beyond my control. It's been very effective thus far.

Were it to be me, I would procure the Daconil, repot the plant in the ideal medium while cleaning EVERYTHING through the process with disinfectant, thermal disinfection, fungicide topically, sulfur powder to the roots, and bleach to surfaces--tools, pots, drainage-based medium, et al. Once everything is clean and repotting is complete, a complete spray down with the Daconil solution and water lightly with the recommended Daconil dilution would be how I would proceed. These are tools and processes that I think of; some might not apply. If the reading is correct, time is of the essence right now, the infection is likely systemic, and any infected material is compromised/requires removal. Functioning within the parameters of sterile and super-clean technique will be essential in addition to isolation of the plant to prevent cross contamination. Before I even open containers of seedlings, I thoroughly clean the workspace with IPA, bake planting mediums, prepare the solutions, etc. Only when I've established a clean environment do I proceed to work with the seedlings. Ten months of warm, humid conditions and thus far, no losses to fungus/rot. Please make sure whatever you might use is compatible with your plant before you apply it.

At least try the searches and do some reading. If you're going to act, time is critical it sounds like. There is a wonderful guy on this site named Steve Johnson that you might email--he'll think I'm a bit of a burden because I keep referring issues to him, but he is brilliant with cacti. Succulents, I'm not certain. A remarkably similar post from last week entitled, "Is this a disease or is it normal?" on this site addresses much of this very topic, and Steve has written a short presentation there. I'm sorry my experience is so limited; I wish I could help more.

Bret
pokie

Post by pokie »

Thanks for your response, but I don't think I can use fungicide indoors (Daconil says outdoors only), and it's probably too late if fungus is the cause.
pokie

Post by pokie »

Just noticed these white indentations on the leaves
https://imgur.com/a/zt9CtuP

It makes me wonder if the burning from soap residue theory is right. I don't see these in the first photo I posted.