Euphorbia decaryi flower/cyathium?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ohugal

Re: Euphorbia decaryi flower/cyathium?

Post by ohugal »

If Jan Gaudi is not replying, here's his instagram and website: https://www.instagram.com/gaudiss_kabinet/ https://www.sobie.net/kabinet/gallery.html. I purchased a E. decayri off him a year ago or so. Perhaps it's a cutting from the big plant?
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG (50.31 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Oh it's been a long time since I looked at this and assumed it had been buried. Also, depression. Plants are happy but mostly sleeping. The decaryi has been repotted at this point into a large bowl and is spreading its legs nicely. I've also since expanded my general collection a fair bit and accrued some more Malagasy species as well.
A few photos from summer and now.
Lurking cylindrifolia
Lurking cylindrifolia
IMG_20230124_172715_copy_643x858.jpg (124.57 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Ambovombensis also lurking
Ambovombensis also lurking
IMG_20230124_172740_copy_648x864.jpg (121.19 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Some plants
Some plants
thisun_copy_854x641.jpg (120.6 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Be still my heart
Be still my heart
Bupe_copy_993x558.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Francoisii tiny flames
Francoisii tiny flames
Oleleafy_copy_1165x654.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Repotted decaryi somewhat wider
Repotted decaryi somewhat wider
IMG_20230124_180149_copy_925x693.jpg (108.66 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Reeally need spring to come faster.
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

RorBurg56 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:25 pm Oh it's been a long time since I looked at this and assumed it had been buried. Also, depression. Plants are happy but mostly sleeping. The decaryi has been repotted at this point into a large bowl and is spreading its legs nicely. I've also since expanded my general collection a fair bit and accrued some more Malagasy species as well.

Reeally need spring to come faster.
Great to hear from you RorBurg56. My collection is expanding. Just found a nursery in Florida-Paradise Found Nursery in Sarasota. They have a pretty large collection of mother plants of Madagascar plants. They grow them in large trays and let the seeds shatter and periodically they collect the young plants and pot them up for sale. I have a shipment expected any day now.

I also have some E. tulearensis seedlings still in the cotyledon leaf stage. I sowed on Dec 24 and I'm still seeing one or two germinating. First germination was Jan 5 or so.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Hey Jerry, yeah flor8da seems great for more of the exotic euphorbias and other heat loving/slightly more tropical succulents. I always see great seed offerings on ebay from a place in miami, they call themselves "exotic cactus collection" on ebay may have a different name irl. I've considered a purchase but the shipping is so expensive and Ive mostly stopped ordering from abroad due to cites related risks. Its a pity. Maybe florida is worth it for the plants despite the reputation for unhinged shenanigans (note: Im sure Florida is huge and parts of it are perfectly nice, quiet and normal, lol).
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

RorBurg56 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:48 pm Hey Jerry, yeah flor8da seems great for more of the exotic euphorbias and other heat loving/slightly more tropical succulents. I always see great seed offerings on ebay from a place in miami, they call themselves "exotic cactus collection" on ebay may have a different name irl. I've considered a purchase but the shipping is so expensive and Ive mostly stopped ordering from abroad due to cites related risks. Its a pity. Maybe florida is worth it for the plants despite the reputation for unhinged shenanigans (note: Im sure Florida is huge and parts of it are perfectly nice, quiet and normal, lol).
When I went to college in FL back in 1971, there were more cattle than people in the state. Huge ranches in the central Florida area. Some of those ranches still exist, but not to the same extent. Some are now State Parks. I don't know the current cattle to people ratio!!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

That definitely contradicts the view many people seem to have of florida (including myself), that it is mostly full of palms, retirees, swamps/gators/huge snakes and the everpresent florida man. I suppose there is enough room for all that plus the cows though lol
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

The east coast is populated only along a narrow strip. Population is pushing into the central part. But the Everglades prevent building down south.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ