Smartphones close up!

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
DaveW

Smartphones close up!

Post by DaveW »

People now take so many photo's of their plants on their smartphones but seem reluctant to post them on the Forum for us all to enjoy?

I have not noticed any recently, but in the past some camera or smartphone photo's were not sharp since the photographer had tried to get closer than either his camera lens or smartphone could focus. Just because you can see an image in the viewfinder or on a low resolution screen does not mean it will be pin sharp, particularly just because you have used autofocus and certainly close up. All lenses have a minimum focus distance from lens front to subject where they will not focus any closer. This is usually stated for most camera lenses but not for smartphones. The best article I can find on that is this.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/do-yo ... ses-focus/

One other fault is windowsill collectors trying to photograph their plants in front of the window since the bright light from the window will make the camera underexpose for the darker side of the plant facing you. Best to bring the plant out into a situation where the light is behind you and the camera and illuminating the side of the plant facing you.
jerrytheplater

Re: Smartphones close up!

Post by jerrytheplater »

DaveW wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:44 am People now take so many photo's of their plants on their smartphones but seem reluctant to post them on the Forum for us all to enjoy?

I have not noticed any recently, but in the past some camera or smartphone photo's were not sharp since the photographer had tried to get closer than either his camera lens or smartphone could focus. Just because you can see an image in the viewfinder or on a low resolution screen does not mean it will be pin sharp, particularly just because you have used autofocus and certainly close up. All lenses have a minimum focus distance from lens front to subject where they will not focus any closer. This is usually stated for most camera lenses but not for smartphones. The best article I can find on that is this.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/do-yo ... ses-focus/

One other fault is windowsill collectors trying to photograph their plants in front of the window since the bright light from the window will make the camera underexpose for the darker side of the plant facing you. Best to bring the plant out into a situation where the light is behind you and the camera and illuminating the side of the plant facing you.
Thanks for this Dave. Not that I have a Smartphone, but I am just learning how to use my Canon mirrorless EOS M50 camera and I've ended up putting some photos up on this site out of focus. I am looking at the User Manual to learn it better. I've been using it in Auto Focus mode, I think I did use Manual mode with my close up lens once. I also still learning how to edit RAW images. They come out less than I'd like too.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

How close you can focus, known as the working distance, from the front lens element to the subject depends on the lens used. So called macro lenses focus closer than normal lenses therefore enlarge the image more on the sensor. Also moving the lens forward with extension tubes allows the lens to focus closer.

This explains lenses and working distance etc.

https://www.stemmer-imaging.com/en/know ... %20reduced.

Another cause of blurred pictures is hand holding a camera at a low shutter speed in order to use a small f-number for increased depth of field. A tripod is one of the best accessories close up in order to use slower speeds and smaller f-numbers for increased depth of field. Depth of field (DOF), sometimes wrongly called "depth of focus", is the amount on the final image that appears sharp to the human eye.

https://www.dpmag.com/how-to/tip-of-the ... 2F500%20th

Camera shake is always present hand holding. All a faster shutter speed does is minimise the amount of blur shown on the final image so it is below the limit the human eye can detect. However if you print house door sized prints you would enlarge that blur and see it even at higher shutter speeds. Therefore Depth of Field (DOF) required depends on the use the image is put to regarding resolution on say a computer screen and final image size required.

Regarding autofocus. That relies on something to focus on. Often with close up photography and limited Depth of Field the ideal focus point is midway between two features therefore as there is nothing there for the autofocus to focus on so it picks a nearer or closer point . I am "old school" so though I do use autofocus close up I also often manual focus using the human eye on the focussing screen to get the most important parts into sharpest focus.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Dave, I'm old school too. I am using my tripod I bought back in the late 1960's. Still works fine. I have to learn the manual settings and how to vary the f stops. I had a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic 35 mm with extension tubes and all sorts of other stuff.

I think the most important part for me will be to pay more attention to the screen on my camera to look at what I am shooting!!

I have figured out how to use the timer to take a photo, since my camera does not have a cable release. Maybe they are not even used anymore?

I just opened up my online User Manual, it is a lot easier to navigate than the printed one I bought from Canon. I did read how to use manual settings and change ISO, f stop, etc. I just have to start using it and learning.

Thanks for the links Dave.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Jerry I do use a cable release, but with digital they are usually electronic so don't plug into the shutter button but into the electronics at the side. Also the makers own are expensive, but often cheaper "Chinese" versions are available on EBAY.

However I looked up your Canon on the web and found this.

https://shuttermuse.com/canon-eos-m50-a ... %20control.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

DaveW wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:06 pm Jerry I do use a cable release, but with digital they are usually electronic so don't plug into the shutter button but into the electronics at the side. Also the makers own are expensive, but often cheaper "Chinese" versions are available on EBAY.

However I looked up your Canon on the web and found this.

https://shuttermuse.com/canon-eos-m50-a ... %20control.
Thanks again Dave. I read your link and saved it. I have to say these electronics have so many features, my mind is getting sore just thinking about it!!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Regarding menus and electronics in cameras. I only use the bits I usually need and forget about the rest. Just because the microchip can provide numerous functions the makers feel the need to use them, but many photographers only try them all once and never probably use them again!

As to automation I do use it, but only shutter or aperture priority apart from manual.

Shutter Priority set to the lowest handholding speed for the lens in use to avoid camera shake and Aperture Priority when on a tripod to get the smaller lens apertures close up for increased Depth of Field.

An article for hand holding, keep scrolling all the way down for full article as there are a few blank breaks in the text.

https://improvephotography.com/37091/mi ... an-you-go/

By the way the 1/focal lens rule only works down to the standard lens for the film or sensor size (50mm was standard lens in the old 35mm film days). It falls down with wide angle lenses since you cannot use an 8mm fisheye lens at 8 seconds hand held and expect sharp results