A sick (?) mammillaria: milky sap by a pest?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
vanessau

A sick (?) mammillaria: milky sap by a pest?

Post by vanessau »

Hello!
It has been a few weeks since I noticed a problem with my 5-years old mammillaria, and since I cannot find any similar case on internet, I'm here disturbing you, my cacti's friends!!
Long story short, more or less two weeks ago I found my mammillaria releasing a strange milky sap: it was the first time, the milky was yellowish and it happened after some unforeseen hail hit the plant - it was sheltered but the weather was way too crazy to be sufficiently prepared. Anyway, I gave all the fault to the hail and slept serene nights.
However, in the last week of cold, windy and clear days, those "leakings" happened again and this time I paid more attention: I dried yellowish sap and check what was underneath... and I found small holes, like bites! Once dried, they become orange-ish.
Now, tonight I was moving the plant... and found another one, fresh and leaking sap. I would say, it happens at night, or at least when the sun sets... and I'm guessing something is eating the mammillaria :(
Has anyone ever experienced this kind of problem? What have you done? And what do you suggest in general (the plant is in quarantine now, away from others)?
(in orange old scars; in white fresh leaking scar, previously cleaned and dried with tissue paper)
Attachments
night pic.jpg
night pic.jpg (204.51 KiB) Viewed 525 times
greenknight

Re: A sick (?) mammillaria: milky sap by a pest?

Post by greenknight »

Some Mammillarias have milky sap, nothing strange about that. No idea what's injuring your cactus, but the damage appears to be minor. Wish I could be of more help. :-k
Spence :mrgreen:
vanessau

Re: A sick (?) mammillaria: milky sap by a pest?

Post by vanessau »

Thank you! That's totally fine :) For now there's no more leaking and it's probably due to the very rigid temperature we're experiencing lately. Let's see what will happen as soon as the temperature rises at night.