Kalanchoe ?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
TheBelmontRooster

Kalanchoe ?

Post by TheBelmontRooster »

Hello! I brought home a Kalanchoe in 2016 that was labeled Kalanchoe luciae, so for all this time I thought that's what it was. Then, in 2022, I brought home an unnamed Kalanchoe from a local greenhouse that I thought could be a K. thyrsiflora. However, that one flowered and turned out to be a K. luciae. The odd thing is, now I have doubts about the original K. luciae. It has sent up many offsets since 2016 and none of them have ever bloomed. They are kind of sprawly... The photo is of seven pots of the Kalanchoe in question. I have A LOT more photos of this plant on my blog/website which you can view https://thebelmontrooster.com/families- ... oe-luciae/. Any ideas?
Attachments
#826-32, Kalanchoe luciae (Paddle Plant), 8-17-21.JPG
#826-32, Kalanchoe luciae (Paddle Plant), 8-17-21.JPG (172.8 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
nachtkrabb

Re: Kalanchoe ?

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hello BelmontRooster,
I add this so that your post comes up again. I have just looked up pictures on a couple of reliable sites of K. luciae: They grow different than your plant (...as far as I can see...) and their leaves are relatively broader. They look "heavier", not as gracile as yours with a lot of visible stem.
So I agree with you: This might not be a K. luciae.
But I admit not being a Kalanchoe lover nor knower... I expect you did check llifle?
Sorry
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I have an unidentified succulent standing here in front of me which looks a lot like the plant in the above post. I thought it was an etiolated or light starved Crassula because of the flat leaves. I got it from the botanical garden of Liège alongside other Kalanchoë plantlets. Kalanchoës are underrated. Species such as eriophylla, tomentosa, beauverdii and rhombopilosa can become quite beautifull. To be fair I am sick of my K. daigremontiana, but I find it hard to throw away a plant if it's not on the brink of sudden death. I think the species can survive an atomic bomb.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

The most beautiful Kalanchoes I have seen in Mediterranean where they grow all year round under the full sun. Really very hardy beautiful plants!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

ohugal wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:29 am (...) To be fair I am sick of my K. daigremontiana, but I find it hard to throw away a plant if it's not on the brink of sudden death. I think the species can survive an atomic bomb.
I do understand you here, ohugal. The only thing I really like about K. daigremontiana is one its German vulgar names: It is also called Goethe's plant ("Goethe-Pflanze") as it is said that Mr. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe had such plants. As he was very much interested in biology (...etc.pp....) I can imagine he found it interesting how that K. produces fully formed children at its leaves.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.