Ocotillo growing help

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
zpeckler

Ocotillo growing help

Post by zpeckler »

So I've been growing cacti for a while now, but I'm starting to branch out into some other classic plants of the desert southwest. Specifically, I got a pair of Ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens) from Arid Lands Wholesale. For those who have grown them, what kind of factors could set me up for success?

In particular, are there any recommendations for a soil/growing medium? So far I have them potted in a mix that's 50% potting soil, 25% Turface MVP, and 25% 3/8" pumice, which is a richer version of what I grow my cacti in.

Fertilizers? I have DynaGro All-Pro on hand.

Watering frequency? I figure one a week or so when the spring and summer starts to heat up and it seems like it's coming out of dormancy.

Thanks in advance!
Zac
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Tom in Tucson

Re: Ocotillo growing help

Post by Tom in Tucson »

My advice on the soil is instead of 50% potting soil, use 50% coconut peat (shredded coir). The other ingredients should be OK.

I grow hundreds of seed of this genus each year using just 100% coir (except for F. shrevei).

Although not all species are considered true succulents, you can treat them like any common cactus.

Good luck, and if you are like me you'll get hooked on them and, try to get all the species!
zpeckler

Re: Ocotillo growing help

Post by zpeckler »

Thanks Tom! I've got plenty of coco coir on hand. Shouldn't be a problem to report them. 👍🏻
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.