How heritable are the traits in Astrophytum?

Create seed of your own
mmcavall

How heritable are the traits in Astrophytum?

Post by mmcavall »

Seeds from a cross between, lets say, two "star shape", or two "onzuka" will result in 100% of star shape (or onzuka) types? Or it is more complicated than that?
Or:
Using an onzuka as the mother plant, being the father plant an ordinary miryostigma, what will be the percentage of onzuka plants in the offspring?
And what about variegated plants?
I'm just curious. I have purchased some astro seeds supposedly from star shape, v-type and other names, but the plants of all these different seed packs are all the same. Or in fact they are very variable but I can't see any pattern. Star shaped plants appeared here and there...and until now (maybe it is too early) I can't see any v-type.
So maybe the genetics is more complicated than I assumed. Or maybe the seed seller is not reliable?
But I am not asking just to know the level of reliability of the seller. I am doing my crosses too, with the plants I have, and it is too early to see the results...but I would like to know if my efforts will bring me good results...or if it is more like a lottery.
Thanks for any input.
Hanazono

Re: How heritable are the traits in Astrophytum?

Post by Hanazono »

G'day mmcavall,

I want to clarify two items for giving more accurate comments.
Although you described "Astrophytum" but:

Star shape: body shape of asterias including super kabuto, I normally use as "starfish shape".
V-type: flecking pattern of super kabuto

Are they correct?

Frank
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Hi Frank
Yes...it is right
I know I mixed the things because star shape is for asterias and onzuka is for miryostigma.
I am not being specific: I want to know in general if the traits are passed to the offspring in a "logical" or "visible" way.
Traits such as number of ribs, flecking patterns, variegation etc.
Thank you
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning mmcavall,
I am not being specific: I want to know in general if the traits are passed to the offspring in a "logical" or "visible" way.
I have understood what you want but traits do not come from just parents unfortunately. Each individual cactus has different ancestors because they are cultvars. I think you can not count general numbers.

To estimate numbers, you have to know the traits of grand parents at least.

Star shape came from just one cactus which was the origimal miracle kabuto. If you want to see star shape other than miracle kabuto, it might be mixed with many.
Original Onzuka found in tulense. Some people disliked tall slender Onzuka and mixed with strongylogonum.
You have to know your Onzuka is in which lines.

Frank
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Ok Frank! So I have my answer: it is indeed complicated

Just an example: I have two miryostigma with four ribs. Crossing them I would expect a high number of individuals with four ribs in the offspring. At least more four ribed than if one of the parents were five-ribed. Well...lets see what happens.

Thank you very much!
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'day mmcavall,
Just an example: I have two miryostigma with four ribs. Crossing them I would expect a high number of individuals with four ribs in the offspring. At least more four ribed than if one of the parents were five-ribed. Well...lets see what happens.
You use "number of ribs" for myriostigma as a example but this has also special issue.

You can see many 4 ribed myriostigma seedlings and yong plants but they are not all 4 ribed myriosigma.
To confirm a true 4 ribed, you have to wait 12~15 years which age a myriostigma starts to increase number of ribs.
I have many young 4 ribed myriostigma but I do not think they are all 4 ribed species.

Is your myriostigma old enough?

If you want to get 4 ribed myriostigma, only selection is 4 ribed myriostigma x 4 ribed myriostigma.
You should not do 4ribed myriostigma x 5 ribed myriostigma. You may get Zero 4 ribed myriostigma.

Frank
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Wow
Thanks!
This was very clarifying and interesting.
Definitely my plants are too young!
I will keep this information in mind. Thanks!