Echinomastus johnsonii care

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
iann

Re: Echinomastus johnsonii care

Post by iann »

I have new growth coming now, but it really didn't fatten up a lot in spring.
--ian
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I have purchased a number of Echinomastus johnsonii and used a potting mix of 1/3 sandy loam, 1/3 pea gravel and 1/3 coarse sand. The cactus have a number of seed pods and will try to harvest seed. I was told that you can water the cactus twice a month or more if the soil dries out quickly. I live in Los Angeles and it rains in the winter months and sometimes in the summer. I know that I do not have high summer temperature and wonder how well these cactus will grow in my area.
What are your recommendations for growing this cactus in Los Angeles?
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I was told that you should never use any pumice when you grow Echinomastus johnsonii because it holds too much water. I was also told to use diluted plant fertilizer twice a year. A number of cactus have finished flowering and green seed pods are forming. I grow the cactus outside and it rained yesterday and today in Los Angeles. I hope that these cactus will grow in Los Angeles. I also see some growth in my Ferocactus cylindraceus that was purchased from the same grower. I realize that I do not have high summer temperatures where most cactus grow but, I have grown cactus for more than fifty years and still have these cactus.
bruno

Post by bruno »

I do use a little bit of pumice in the potting mix, it holds water but that is a problem only if you water too much or if you let the plants take to much rain. These plants grow from late winter to mid spring, watering beyond that is a risk. From mid may to early october my johnsonii can take water once every 2 or 3 weeks, if temperatures are too high I don't.
Some of the plants in a mix of lapillus, pumice and marl, in full growth as of April 2017 in Rome, Italy
20170421_135819.jpg
20170421_135819.jpg (139.01 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
20170421_135807 (1).jpg
20170421_135807 (1).jpg (129.89 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
good growing
bruno
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I planted about 100 seeds recently and will see if any of them germinate. I was told by a grower that he gets between 10-20% germination rate. I wanted to see if I could grow plants from seeds that I collected from my own plants. I have collected more than 1,000 seeds from my plants.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

The seeds are beginning to sprout and will see how many plants will grow. I see one of the seedlings is growing very rapidly and believe that these plants grow in very arid conditions.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

The Echinomastus johnsonii seedlings did not survive the winter months. I am thinking about sowing some more seeds. I had only two adult plants flower and lost two plants earlier this year. A majority of plants are producing new spines. I grow the plants outdoors and receive winter rain with very little summer rain. I have decided to water the plants once or twice a month except for in the summer months when the plants become dormant.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Don't forget water retention in potting soils is also influenced by climate. If you live in a country with baking hot sun all day you can use water retentive mixes that would quickly cause rot in colder more humid countries. Not only does your soil mix need to be tailored for the containers you use, but also for your climate. When it comes to potting soils recipes there is no one mix that fits all, you need to use them as a starting point, then tailor them to suit your conditions.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I am continuing to water my plants and many of them are growing new spines. I will stop watering in the summer months.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Hello everyone,
I'm resurrecting this old thread because it's of particular interest to me. I'm really interested in growing cacti from my home state of California, and E. johnsonii is a favorite of mine to encounter in habitat. Does anyone have any idea where I could get seeds from this lovely species?

Thanks a bunch,
ZP
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

zpeckler wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:48 am Hello everyone,
I'm resurrecting this old thread because it's of particular interest to me. I'm really interested in growing cacti from my home state of California, and E. johnsonii is a favorite of mine to encounter in habitat. Does anyone have any idea where I could get seeds from this lovely species?

Thanks a bunch,
ZP
AKA Sclerocactus johnsonii. I usually try eBay first -- unfortunately no johnsonii, but you can find S. wrightii seeds here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151065776703?h ... R9Lp7PDgYQ

Info from Llifle:

http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... ._wrightii
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DrPlantDaddy

Post by DrPlantDaddy »

I have a single E. johnsonii. Does anyone know if they are self-compatible? If so, I may be able to get you some seed later this year. I have not tried selfing it in the past, and it has not simply self-fertilized and created a nice fruit for me to harvest.
----
Kane
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

DrPlantDaddy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:50 pm I have a single E. johnsonii. Does anyone know if they are self-compatible? If so, I may be able to get you some seed later this year. I have not tried selfing it in the past, and it has not simply self-fertilized and created a nice fruit for me to harvest.

That would be awesome! Thank you so much!!!
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Sonoran Jackalope

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

zpeckler wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:48 am Hello everyone,

Thanks a bunch,
ZP
Three Deserts on Etsy or Mesa Garden