Looking for native CA seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
zpeckler

Looking for native CA seeds

Post by zpeckler »

Hello all!

One of my main goals when it comes to my cactus cultivation is to have examples of the major species here in my home state of California. I've been trying to track down Sclerocactus polyancistrus and Echinomastus johnsonii but haven't had any luck finding live plants or seeds at my usual online sources (Arid Lands Greenhouses, Miles To Go, Mesa Garden, Cactus store.com, eBay, etc.). It'd be fun to go tramping through the desert looking for seed pods myself, but I have a new baby so it's probably gonna be a while before I can get away for expeditions like that.

Does anyone have seeds for either of these species on hand? I don't have anything to trade but am willing to pay.

Thanks,
ZP
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Aiko

Re: Looking for native CA seeds

Post by Aiko »

Go through the seed lists of "the Czechs". They usually have Echinomastus johnsonii for sale as seeds.
Go to the "Updated seed lists" thread for a link of these seed vendors. You should wait for next autumn to order something again, though.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Sclerocactus polyancistrus is one of, if not the hardest cactus to cultivate. That's likely why you can't find any seed. Back in the 90s Mesa Garden had some, and I think it was one of the highest priced cacti they sold. If you locate any, let us know!

As for the Echinomastus johnsonii it's difficult, but not impossible to cultivate. Before Mesa Garden deteriorated, they always had both varieties available, but I wouldn't "hold my breath" waiting for them to offer it again.

If I were you I would contact the Cactus and Succulent Society of Southern Nevada. Both species also grow there.

Let us know your results.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:53 pm Sclerocactus polyancistrus is one of, if not the hardest cactus to cultivate. That's likely why you can't find any seed. Back in the 90s Mesa Garden had some, and I think it was one of the highest priced cacti they sold. If you locate any, let us know!

As for the Echinomastus johnsonii it's difficult, but not impossible to cultivate. Before Mesa Garden deteriorated, they always had both varieties available, but I wouldn't "hold my breath" waiting for them to offer it again.
Oh interesting.... I had no idea they were that hard to grow! Do you have any insight into what makes them so difficult, or what some of the pitfalls might be?

Well, I'm always up for a challenge. I'll keep looking and sow them if I can find them. I've currently got a batch of E. polycephalus seedlings going so I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.

I searched for the CSS of Southern Nevada but according to their Facebook page they've shut down! Very unfortunate! I'll see if some of the SoCal CSSs have any info.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Found some interesting info on E. johnsonii....

https://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CAC ... _johnsonii
Cultivation and Propagation:
This is one of the most beautiful cacti but rarely seen in cultivation, it needs perfect drainage to flourish. It is quite difficult to grow on its own roots. Very easily rot! It’s thought that’s better to watch this species in photo or in the natural habitat rather than to try to cultivate it. For this reasons the plant is often grafted on a frost hardy stock.

This plant need full sun and above all a very good ventilation, especially in winter. Keep totally dry during winter. It can tolerate temperature below zero (-15° C or less). Mature individuals - if the growing conditions are not optimal, easily rot and die.

Propagation:
Seeds are relatively difficult to germinate (only a limited percentage of seeds germinate). Grafting is often used to speed growth rate and to create a back-up for plants in collection.
That sounds to me like a pure mineral mix would be the way to go.

There's also this thread from here on CactiGuide from back in 2014:
viewtopic.php?t=33296
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

zpeckler wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:43 am Found some interesting info on E. johnsonii....

https://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CAC ... _johnsonii
Cultivation and Propagation:
This is one of the most beautiful cacti but rarely seen in cultivation, it needs perfect drainage to flourish. It is quite difficult to grow on its own roots. Very easily rot! It’s thought that’s better to watch this species in photo or in the natural habitat rather than to try to cultivate it. For this reasons the plant is often grafted on a frost hardy stock.

This plant need full sun and above all a very good ventilation, especially in winter. Keep totally dry during winter. It can tolerate temperature below zero (-15° C or less). Mature individuals - if the growing conditions are not optimal, easily rot and die.

Propagation:
Seeds are relatively difficult to germinate (only a limited percentage of seeds germinate). Grafting is often used to speed growth rate and to create a back-up for plants in collection.
That sounds to me like a pure mineral mix would be the way to go.

There's also this thread from here on CactiGuide from back in 2014:
viewtopic.php?t=33296
One user on the link you provided includes comments by the user @bruno. His experience on this forum (as well as others) is valuable because of his experience with "difficult" species. I think he is still a Roman resident.