California - Mojave National Preserve

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
MrXeric

California - Mojave National Preserve

Post by MrXeric »

I decided to share some of the pictures of plants I took on a detour to Las Vegas, NV back in December 2022. These are from the Mojave National Preserve, near the Teutonia Peak Trail off Cima Road, right in the heart of the region that was devastated by the 2020 Dome Fire (over 43k acres burned, read more on that fire here.) Elevation of about 5000ft (1524m).

Here is the general landscape, Kessler Peak shown in the background. Mostly Joshua Tree woodland, but also Utah Junipers (not shown here). Granite outcrops scattered throughout. Notice the dead Joshua Trees. Most of the cacti I found were growing in cracks on the granite outcrops, likely what saved them from the fire.

Opuntia chlorotica. It was fallen on its side, though the roots seemed to be in good shape and well buried into the soil.

Cylindropuntia echinocarpa.

Yucca baccata. Growing in a crack on granite. A seedling or an offset of a burned plant?

Echinocereus triglochidiatus, what some would recognize as var. or subsp. mojavensis. This was the most common cactus I found.

stem detail

This one growing in a crack on the granite camouflages almost perfectly.

I found several clumps that didn't survive the fire. Here's one.

These were less common than the triglochidiatus, Echinocereus engelmannii.

Most were small and single-stemmed. Here's one that's just starting to form an offset on the back of the plant.

same plant, more detail on the massive spines (wow!)

I think this is my favorite of the bunch, Pelecyphora vivipara (=Escobaria vivipara). I believe this is the form some recognize as var. deserti, though both Anderson and Lodé have this down as a good species, Escobaria desertii. This was the only specimen I found, growing on granite under some grass.
zpeckler

Re: California - Mojave National Preserve

Post by zpeckler »

Great pics, dude! I haven't made it down to Mojave NPP, but it's high on my bucket list. I'm such a huge fan of growing and experiencing the native cacti of my home state.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Made me think I have to "harden" my Echinocereus engelmani
chinanjcml

Post by chinanjcml »

Very interesting, Echinocereus engelmannii
From Nanjing · China WeChat:TaikooA

Cactus,Insects,Plants,Photography,Electrical,Hiking,Geography and meteorology!
DrPlantDaddy

Post by DrPlantDaddy »

Sigh, more and more invasive grass every time I visit or see photos. Just like we saw with the Dome Fire, the fire risk is getting higher and higher every year, which absolutely decimates these non-fire adapted species and landscapes.

On a more positive note, great photos!!!
----
Kane
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

zpeckler wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:44 pm Great pics, dude! I haven't made it down to Mojave NPP, but it's high on my bucket list. I'm such a huge fan of growing and experiencing the native cacti of my home state.
Thanks! And yes, there are so many options in our state to see our wild cacti. A good deal of them are known to be difficult in cultivation though!
mmcavall wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:26 am Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Made me think I have to "harden" my Echinocereus engelmani
chinanjcml wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:39 am Very interesting, Echinocereus engelmannii
Yeah, those spines really grab your attention. This species next on my list to sow!
DrPlantDaddy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:56 pm Sigh, more and more invasive grass every time I visit or see photos. Just like we saw with the Dome Fire, the fire risk is getting higher and higher every year, which absolutely decimates these non-fire adapted species and landscapes.

On a more positive note, great photos!!!
Thanks! And yeah, it was interesting driving down Cima road and having the landscape abruptly be covered in that yellow grass spotted with dead and burnt Joshua Trees. Just makes it that much easier for the next fire to spread...
keith

Post by keith »

probably a super bloom in Mojave about now ? I may try and get out there tomorrow ...
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:23 pm probably a super bloom in Mojave about now ? I may try and get out there tomorrow ...
Share some pics if you do go! I was actually planning to go during the spring, but I may not be able to make time for it before the heat gets too high.