White mould on Lithops seed

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Ilvin

White mould on Lithops seed

Post by Ilvin »

Hi, so I recently decided to try growing lithops from seed. I have not grown anything from seed before so I tried to do some research before hand, but nevertheless the tiny little seedlings have sprouted white filament-like mould.

My question is this: How bad is it? Is it mild but harmless white mould and I should just increase airflow? Or is this the "damping off" I've read about and I'm about to lose the whole pot? If so is there a way to save them? These seeds have been sown for less than a week and I did sterilize the soil - they looked fine just yesterday. I do have more seed, but I'd rather not lose my first attempt so soon.

Up to this point the seeds have been in moderate light (grow light) in a closed little bag to retain moisture. I started to open the bag just yesterday - 3 days after first signs of germination. I did that to help prevent mould but there you go.
20230331_175956 - Copy (2).jpg
20230331_175956 - Copy (2).jpg (193.52 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
20230331_175956 - Copy.jpg
20230331_175956 - Copy.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Aiko

Re: White mould on Lithops seed

Post by Aiko »

I don't know what you think to see, but I don't see mould. I see lot's of little roots finding their way down into the soil.

I ususally help the plants out: grabbing a pointy knife, stab the soil to make a nice hole and place the roots gently into the hole, then pushing the soil back.
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

The smaller white things on the tap root, is that not mould? It was very difficult to take a picture of, my camera was struggling given the size of the seedlings - it does look significantly more "fuzzy" in person. Although I know some new root growth can look a little like mould.

Like I say, I'm not familiar with growing plants from seed, but I was expecting the tap root would stay looking like a single tap root at this stage. I hope its just fuzzy little secondary roots, that would be a best case scenario.

I was intending to sprinkle some (sterilised) fine grain soil/sand around the small plants since I fear I used too big soil particles for the tiny little roots.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Spray some water on the 'mould'. If it is really mould, it would clump together due to the drups. And you should be able to remove them gently with the tip of a knife. If they are roots, they will stay as they are, but just wet.
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

Hmm. I sprayed water on them and it just kind of vanished. I suspect this means it clumped, but the tiny scale I'm looking at makes it really hard to be sure.

Since this appeared within a day, I suppose I'll just keep an eye on the seedlings for now.
keith

Post by keith »

Not sure if its mold but you're right to stop it right away if it is. ? I would expose to drier air and maybe try and thin out the middle part where the seedlings are very dense that would hold water.
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

Thanks, I removed the pot from the bag entirely and the stuff hasn't reappeared. This does make me think it was mould, which I'm not thrilled about, but at least its not there now.

I made an attempt to thin out the middle. Unfortunately they're quite stuck together so I think I'd do more harm then good. That said, if the mould reappears I might try anyway.
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

As I find updates on these posts helpful, I thought I'd provide one.

The seedlings are coming up on 3 weeks old and since I made this post there's been no further sign of mould. It seems like increasing airflow (taking them out the bag) was immediately very effective. Here's what they look like now:
20230415_152453.jpg
20230415_152453.jpg (136.12 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Believe it or not I did thin them out a week after making this post... but then they grew. Looking back at the first picture, the pot looks sparse!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I think it was just that the high humidity was stimulating the growth of root hairs above the soil. Mold would have killed them.

Just as well to uncover them anyway.
Spence :mrgreen: