Fouquieria splendens campanulata flower pod

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
A_G_R

Fouquieria splendens campanulata flower pod

Post by A_G_R »

This is exciting! This is the first flower pod on this beautiful plant, purchased 8-10 years ago from Corona Cactus
Attachments
IMG_2809.jpg
IMG_2809.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Alejandro
ohugal

Re: Fouquieria splendens campanulata flower pod

Post by ohugal »

Congratulations! How big is your specimen?
I think somebody recently was on the forum asking about information on that plant.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

ohugal wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:28 am Congratulations! How big is your specimen?
I think somebody recently was on the forum asking about information on that plant.
Thanks!! The longest stem is a little over 6feet/2 meters, I'll search the forum to see if I find who was asking about it.
Alejandro
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

A_G_R wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:16 pm This is exciting! This is the first flower pod on this beautiful plant, purchased 8-10 years ago from Corona Cactus
I too congratulate you. As a near neighbor, you know how cool it's been lately (2+ of snow at my place Mar. 2), and that may have been beneficial. That subsp. grows at a fairly high altitude in Durango (1150-1400m), so it might have enjoyed our cold weather.

Maybe you can contact some other ocotillo collectors around here, and cross pollinate.

Nice looking Penstemon parryi in the backgroud. They're looking good this year.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

A_G_R wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:53 pm
ohugal wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:28 am Congratulations! How big is your specimen?
Thanks!! The longest stem is a little over 6feet/2 meters, I'll search the forum to see if I find who was asking about it.
I think that's me ohugal was referring to! Here's the brief thread:
viewtopic.php?t=47687

Last year I got a pair of small, <1 foot tall F. splendens. They did all right last year; grew a little and one put out a branch. Prior to the start of this year's growing season I figured I'd see what I could do to take the best care of them and get a little more peppy growth. Per the advice in the thread I re-potted them in 50% coco coir, 25% turface, and 25% 3/8" pumice.

Any other words of wisdom to help them do their best? Do you have a preferred fertilizer regimen? Man, I do love ocotillo. They're probably my favorite non-cactus desert plant.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:42 pm
A_G_R wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:16 pm This is exciting! This is the first flower pod on this beautiful plant, purchased 8-10 years ago from Corona Cactus
:)

I too congratulate you. As a near neighbor, you know how cool it's been lately (2+ of snow at my place Mar. 2), and that may have been beneficial. That subsp. grows at a fairly high altitude in Durango (1150-1400m), so it might have enjoyed our cold weather.

Thank you Tom! I think you nailed it, last year I noticed the buds but they stalled, and after a few warm days, it leafed out
Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:42 pm Maybe you can contact some other ocotillo collectors around here, and cross pollinate.
I did! Please check your inbox
Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:42 pm Nice looking Penstemon parryi in the backgroud. They're looking good this year.
Yes, they are going ganbusters this year
Alejandro